Pruning a Hydrangea

A friend of my husband gave him a start of a hydrangea last year. Do you cut it down and if so when?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By ga from Wheatfield, IN

I wait until spring and the plant begins to bud. Then I cut off what ever is above the highest green, and, of course, the old flower heads which I leave on for winter interest. If you cut the plant back to the ground, it will have to grow new stems before it can flower.

If you don't cut them back, they will grow bigger every year.

I don't cut mine, except for the woody stems that stick up from the green in the Spring. That way my Hydrangeas

are big and healthy.