Thanksgiving Turkeys

Here are two of the turkeys I raised for Thanksgiving. I have recently had them butchered at Tabor Homestead in Berwok, ME. They were all over 20 pounds and the big tom turkey I kept for myself was 31 3/4 pounds!

By Deborah

Poor birds!

I've never understood how someone could raise a living creature and then kill it. I'm not a vegetarian and I understand this is all God's plan of the food chain. I know we all have to make a living and farms are very important, but damn if this doesn't blow my mind. Don't you ever get a soft spot in your heart once you've come to know these animals/fowl? And on top of it all you choose to share a photo with us! I realize things are different in your neck of the woods, but in my neck of the woods I say "Shame on you!"

How a person can raise animals and then eat them is beyond me. Sick.

Please! This person is proud of their Turkeys. This is how it has been done for years. Man raised his food, killed it and it fed his family. I think your Turkeys are beautiful and I hope you enjoy your dinner enjoy the fruits of you labor.

I'm with dusty6788! I think it's barbaric, and then to brag about it! Heartless!

Please! to wacky camper! Lots of things have been done for years but it doesn't make them appropriate or acceptable. Raising an animal, feeding them and taking care of them with the ultimate goal of sending them to slaughter for your consumption does not sound to me like anything to be proud of. As you said, the turkeys were beautiful  ALIVE  and not sitting on a plate to be eaten. Guess who's just become a vegetarian? You have your opinion and I have mine ...

Ok everybody. I want to publicly apologize for any flare-ups I may have caused. The turkey situation is something that is done and acceptable in many parts of the world -- just not in mine. I was really taken aback by this and didn't mean to start a blog or a forum over it. I just simply love all animals.

This is a lovely photo. It is beautiful artistically and these turkeys appear to be healthy. Raising a Turkey over 31 pounds is a big achievement and a testament to the care with which they were raised. Why shouldn't someone take pride in raising healthy livestock?

I was a vegetarian for almost 12 years. I am not anymore, but now prefer to get my meat come from local farmers that care for the animals/livestock and take pride in the work they do, rather than the mass production lots where little care is given to the quality of life of the animal before butchering that most of our "anonymous" packages of grocery store meat comes from. (The "Franken Chicken" we purchase at the market look little like most of our idea of a healthy bird). I get sides of beef from a local rancher I met through the Farmer's Market, and will soon be getting free range chicken from my sister. I find that by buying direct, I can get lean, grass raised, free range, hormone free black Angus meat for the same price per pound as the hamburger at WinCo.

Shame on you all for condemning this. You have your right to be vegan/vegetarian and she and a lot of other people have the right to eat meat. It's a shame you are not as compassionate to humans as you are to animals.

Thanks for sharing Deborah, beautiful turkeys you raised!

Two turkeys.
Raising a Turkey for Thanksgiving
Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving MiscellaneousOctober 21, 2010
Cupcakes decorated to make a turkey using several with different frostings..
Thanksgiving Cupcake Ideas
Oreo Turkeys
Making Oreo Turkeys
Pumpkin soup inside a pumpkin.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
pumpkin turkey
Making Mini Pumpkin Turkeys
🎄