Raising a Turkey for Thanksgiving

Category Miscellaneous
If you have the space to raise poultry, it can be satisfying to provide your own meat for the holiday. This guide is about raising a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Here are two of the turkeys I raised for Thanksgiving. I have recently had them butchered at Tabor Homestead in Berwok, ME. They were all over 20 pounds and the big tom turkey I kept for myself was 31 3/4 pounds!

By Deborah

Poor birds!

I've never understood how someone could raise a living creature and then kill it. I'm not a vegetarian and I understand this is all God's plan of the food chain. I know we all have to make a living and farms are very important, but damn if this doesn't blow my mind. Don't you ever get a soft spot in your heart once you've come to know these animals/fowl? And on top of it all you choose to share a photo with us! I realize things are different in your neck of the woods, but in my neck of the woods I say "Shame on you!"

How a person can raise animals and then eat them is beyond me. Sick.

Anonymous

Please! This person is proud of their Turkeys. This is how it has been done for years. Man raised his food, killed it and it fed his family. I think your Turkeys are beautiful and I hope you enjoy your dinner enjoy the fruits of you labor.