Gift for Someone Who's Had Hip Replaced

I have a good friend who just had her hip replaced. What could I do for her to pass the time while she is recuperating? I was thinking of a gift box, food etc. Her daughters clean for her. Does any one have any unusual suggestions? Something to brighten her spirits. Maybe something that is not food. Thanks so much. I appreciate any suggestions.

Nelliemary from West Virginia

If she's a reader, some books/magazines might be appreciated, Also puzzles help pass the time, whether jigsaw, crossword, other word puzzles. If she's up to visitors, it would be nice to spend some time with her.

How about a one-a-day gift box containing small gift items to be taken out one a day? Give one for two weeks worth. Would your friend do crafts? If so, small craft kits for Christmas ornaments, small cross stitch kits etc. might be good.

Does she have children and grandchildren who might like to hear/read the story of her life? A blank journal book to write down her childhood memories could work. There are "memory books" especially made for this as well. hey are available at book stores. A tape recorder to record her memories might also work.

if she has a window she can sit near you could buy her a nice bird feeder and fill it and even hang it up for her near the window, or even one of those glass outside bird feeder extention windows that lets you see the birds feed right outside your window pane but the other side has film on it so the birds are not seeing the person and get scared away. This time of year the birds will really come to feed. Also if she is in wooded area and wants to view deers put out a salt block or deer lick to bring them in to see feeding. Maybe let her borrow your binoculars to do some bird watching if she has trees near by.

You could get her a bead set at walmart which has the beads, cording etc in it and she can make braclets or necklaces for her grandchildren or kids at church as gifts for christmas for there stockings.

If she's up for company, visiting her would be nice. Perhaps you could stop and get lunch for both of you and then eat together and spend some time visiting. If you both like to play cards or board games, you could do that together.

CD's, books, craft supplies, maybe a subscription for a couple of months to Netflix?

You could fix her up a gift basket and put rented DVD's (or a subscription to Netflix, already mentioned), Popcorn, movie theater candy, etc.

I was going to suggest puzzles, both crosswords and jigsaw, but I see some one else has already mentioned that. It would be nice to put these together with a lap table, pencils, pencil sharpener and a small dictionary. I've done these before for people and am, at the moment, putting one together to send out of state.

Your friend is lucky to have someone like you who cares. God bless you.

Personally, I think magazines of ALL kinds...from so many different areas and walks of life are both fun and mind expanding...especially for someone that does not have access to a computer. And perhaps some catalogs with beautiful things in them to gander at. Make sure the person has a newspaper every day. Or two. Like their city one and perhaps a New York times. These are the things I would find interesting if I were an invalid for a while without access to a computer.

~Misty in Elmira, NY

These are wonderful ideas and I am going to try some of them. I appreciate all the suggestions! I think the people on this site are very helpful. Thank You, NellieMary

By all means please do all of the above that you find you can do and spend time with her. Find the little things she can't do-maybe a mani and a pedi. I was on bed rest for 7 months and it was the lonliest time of my life. My husband was working long hours and I was very lonely and very hurt by friends that forgot about me during my time of need. I now have little contact with these people because they abandoned me in my time of need and do not want to waste my precious time and effort on people who only want me for what I can offer them, never thinking about the needs of others.

I suggest get her some "Search word puzzle books". I do them every night, it helps the mind,as we know we need to keep our mind busy! My husband got me started with them when I broke my leg several years ago,almost died with thrombophilebiti. Had to stay in bed off & on for a year,most people die with it, guess our Prayers were answered. I still enjoy the 'Search word books" get them at a Dollar or Fred's store for $1.00 when on sale. Good luck to her.

Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceNovember 4, 2008
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Easter Gift Box With Chocolate Eggs Inside
Easter Gift Ideas
Animal Print Heels
Wearing Animal Prints
Photo of a Leonberger.
Caring for a Dog With Hip Dysplasia
🎉
🎄