Disguising Smoke Detectors

I have 2 electric fire detectors in my mobile home living room. They are an eye sore to me. Any ideas on how to disguise them, so they aren't such an eyesore?

By Jazalay from Frisco,TX

If they are on the ceiling, maybe a small paper lantern light fixutre you can get from a dollar store or walmart to cover them or a cute baby hat might work too. If they are on the walls, baby hats, wall art, a tapestry. Hope this helps.

The first poster is right, you can get a cute baby umbrella or one of those net food covering umbrella's and tack it up there. If it's on the way, you can hang a fake ivy over it and make sure the leaves cover it. You can put a small shelf under it and set a nice photo in front with a small curio on each side.

But what ever you do, however, Do not take it down! I know you have thought of it, and my former residents have done it. In most states there is a mandatory 250.00 fine for even dislodging the battery!

Please keep in mind that, if you cover them up, it could make them less effective for the job they were made for.

Please to not cover them at all because it will take that much longer for the smoke to set them off which could jeopardize your life! If they bother you that much maybe you could paint them to match your decor but "be sure to not let any of the paint cover or clog any of the device sensors" if you do even that!

Although I agree with many of the posters the only question I would like to ask is: Are you more concerned about how these detectors look, vs the fact that they have the capability of saving your life? The best suggestion (for ceiling mounts) is the mesh food cover that keeps flies out of your outdoor picnic foods. Anything else that has any kind of weight to it would block the alarm from sounding and I guess you really wouldn't have to worry about how ugly they are because that would be moot when your home burned down. Not trying to be rude but I'd rather hear that you're alive than you decorated a fire detector and that prevented it alarming.

How about painting it the same color as your ceiling so then it will not be so obvious to your eye OR anyone else's.

I love decorating and having nice matching things, but having gone through a mobile home fire,losing everything but our lives our unsightly smoke detectors saved our lives. Please have a fire plan because there's a short time to escape especially from a mobile home fire. God Bless.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 24, 2009
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
🎉
🎄