Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Laundry Powder Recipe Without Washing Soda

Does anyone know a good recipe for homemade laundry powder without washing soda? I haven't had any luck finding it in my neighborhood grocery stores, and I don't have a car to go farther afield. I know that it's orderable online, but the shipping is really expensive. Would equal parts soap, borax, and baking soda work? Any advice appreciated!

AnnElise from Baltimore, MD

By

By linda van houten02/11/2010

Do you have 'piggly wiggly' and/or 'pick and save' stores nearby? Locally , both stores carry arm and hammers 'washing soda'. I have made my own laundry soap several times using the recipe found on this site 'thrifty fun'. It seems like sometimes it gels more so, than at other times.I wonder if it could be due to having used a different type of bar soap[grated]. It still works well; in my HP frontloading machine.

By (Guest Post)11/03/2008

You can just use the bar soap grated. It will work just fine, but the borax and washing soda are whiteners and help with some stain removal.

By betty green (Guest Post)10/30/2008

You can find the washing soda at kroger in the detergent aisle, also mejiers has it.

By (Guest Post)10/29/2008

I just read online that you can make your own washing soda by changing the ph level in baking soda. Take the amount of needed baking soda spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for half an hour. If anyone else has tried this please let us know, thanks.

By (Guest Post)10/29/2008

I have also not been able to find washing soda, Arm and Hammer makes it but, I have yet to find it even at Wal-mart. I used Borax, and it works great just make sure you are careful if you have children and/or pets.

By Nikki (Guest Post)10/29/2008

You can get washing soda at pool supply stores. It is the same chemical as "PH up"

By annElise [1]10/28/2008

Hi Anna,

No, washing soda and borax are two different chemical compounds: Washing soda is sodium carbonate, Na2CO3, and borax is a salt of boric acid. Borax is also toxic, while washing soda is not (though if you're cleaning with it, it's best to use gloves since it can be hard on skin). I am going to make a sample, but I thought I'd see whether anyone had any tried-and-true suggestions.

By Nikki Wright10/28/2008

2 gallons Water (hot)
1 bar Soap (grated)
2 cups Baking soda (yes baking soda this timenot washing soda)

* Melt grated soap in a saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until soap is melted.
* In a large pail, pour 2 gallons hot water. Add melted soap, stir well.
* Then add the baking soda, stir well again.
* Use 1/2 cup per full load, 1 cup per very soiled load.

By choc01cake (Guest Post)10/28/2008

Hot water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 Soap bar

* Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
* Fill a 10 gallon pail half full of hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing soda, stir well until all powder is dissolved. Top the pail up with more hot water.
* Use 1 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

By Anna (Guest Post)10/28/2008

I thought washing soda = borax? I have no recipe, but I'd say why don't you make a small batch and test it? I'm sure it will work to some extent, if not perfectly fine. Remember, our grandmas washed their laundry with nothing but lye and soap!