Recycled Bedspread Rug

This is a rug made from a queen size bedspread that I found for $2 at the thrift store. The bedspread had bleach stain spots on it, but as you can see, they aren't visible in the rug.

Approximate Time: Three days

• one queen size bedspread
  • scissors
  • kite string
  • yarn needle
  • large crochet hook "q"

Instructions:

1. Begin with a freshly laundered bedspread. Using scissors, begin at one end and cut one continuous 2 inch wide strip, until the entire bedspread is cut up.
  2. Roll the long fabric strip into a ball as you cut to keep it from getting tangled.
  3. The most time consuming part is the cutting!
  4. The bedspread fabric was quite thick, so I thought the stitching would be easier and last longer with some old kite string I had in my craft supplies. I just used a large crochet hook and did the basic chain stitch for the entire length of the cut fabric and rolled it into a ball as I chain stitched it.
  5. Once the chain stitching was complete, I threaded the yarn needle with kite string and began lacing the stitches together the same way a braided rug is stitched.
  6. The stitching goes a bit under the topside stitch on one side, then under the topside of the stitch on the opposite side.
  7. If this sounds confusing, look at a braided rug and check the stitching. It will make more sense to you then. In fact, that's how I decided the kite string would be hidden.
  8. This rug isn't an area rug size, but just the right size to go at the foot of my bed. If a larger rug is desired, just use two bedspreads.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

WOW. It looks fabulous. Good job. Only 3 days? I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

WOW again - I love it.

I'm loving the idea, but think I might cut 1 to 1 1/2 inch strips, chain about 25 and single crochet the rug, any suggestions?

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

I am so sorry. At first glance at this project, I didn't see any good directions. I said I didn't like it under those circumstances. I don't know if I can change my dislike to a like. Can you? I really do love this project and I think that I could make one easily with your instructions. I hope you can find out how to fix my stupid comment. I would rather have you win. Again, I am sorry, your project should be the winner.

Deborah

Wow, it's beautiful! What a lovely way to recycle. I don't know how to crochet but that can be learned, creativity on the other hand is much harder! Thanks for posting this. :)

Wow, this is awesome! Now I'm inspired!

I made one of these in the 80's and it was the start of my carpal tunnel syndrome! Don't make too many of them!

You did mahhhbvalous dahlink. Great looking rug and a great way to make on the cheap. Good to make with flannel sheets etc for beside a kids bed.

Would you really be able to do this as a single crochet as suggested above or might you end up with an awkward bowl when your done due to the weight and size??

I don't know but it would be super to have someone tell us, if they have done so on this size.

**Just be sure to put some of that stuff underneath that stops an area rug for taking you on a slide!

I've tried this a couple times and can't seem to get it to lie flat. It wants to "cup" up. Do you have any suggestions to remedy this problem? Yours is beautiful.

I have a queen sized tapestry and I need a rug. I am very busy with 2 small children and full time school. Can this be hired done? Thank you in advance. Deb

To keep the rug from bowing up, add more stitches around the curved edges. That helps push it flat. This comes from my late grandma who braided her rugs. She made huge area rugs. Yours looks great!

Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads, Shoulder bag made from recycled chenille bedspread.
Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads
Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorAugust 10, 2010
Making a Yo Yo Bedspread
Making a Yo Yo Bedspread
Pom Pom Rug
Making a Pom Pom Rug
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
🎉
🎄