Repairing a Jacket With a Broken Zipper

The zipper broke on my winter jacket. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for how to fix it without replacing the zipper. it's reversible with quilted nylon on both sides. Would a toggle work? Thanks.

By Jill from PA

Same thing happened to me this winter with my car coat. I plan on replacing the zipper, but it's not reversible like yours and has two snaps to keep it closed.

I was going to suggest that you buy some sticky back velcro tabs to help keep it shut until you repair the zipper/replace. Not too many zippers stay repaired once they are broken.

However, if one of the teeth are missing, you might try hand sewing around that area so the zipper doesn't slide past that point and jump track.

Take it to your local cleaners, they can fix it for you. Good luck.

Toggles or 'frogs' as some are called, can be used but then the jacket isn't as warm as when zipped unless the sides overlap considerably. The same thing happened with my husband's coat zipper, and we were told at the cleaners that they could send the coat out to be repaired for $15 labor, in addition to the cost of the zipper which would be about the same, so a total of around $30! GULP! My first solution was to buy a zipper myself, then I carefully took apart the coat at the zipper and replaced it 'properly', which was a ton of work, took hours, and it looked great but only lasted a month or so.

Next time it happened, I bought a cheap zipper on ebay & found a simpler way. Cut away the old zipper right where it's fabric goes inside the seam, very carefully, then sew the new zipper in place with the cloth parts top stitched to the insides of the coat's edges with just the teeth and some of the cloth part exposed. It's lasted two more seasons so far and is hardly noticeable. The whole repair cost me about $4 for the zipper and maybe 15 minutes pinning it in place before sewing on with a plain straight stitch, could have even hand sewn it. Be sure to get a 'separating zipper' that comes completely apart and is close to the color or maybe a complementing color because you're not likely to be able to get the same color. I'll never be intimidated by a zipper again! :^)

My local drycleaner does this type of repair for a very reasonable cost. I would inquire there first. However, you might try Kjiji or something similar. I have a friend who does this sort of mending, and she advertises on sites such as those.

Also, if you are going to try replacing a zipper yourself, (or have someone else do it) buy a good quality one. There is no use going to all that work and having the zipper wear out again.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 5, 2011
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses