Frugal Ideas on Making Wild Bird Feeders

We have purchased a bird feeder, and now find that there are too many birds. We dont mind buying the feed, it's the feeders that make us cringe! The type we need is over $70! So i thought maybe someone may have an idea of making my own. I dont think the wild birds would mind my frugality!

Kate

I searched Google.com using "make a wild bird feeder" and found 125 hits. Hope one (or more) of those will be useful for you.

thanx Bill M. It looks very promising!

I use frisbees I've gotten free as advertising., Drill a few drainage holes and thee holes evenly spaced around the edges. Pull some cord thru the holes, knotting underneath and gather tigether in a know at the top so the frisbee becomes a suspended dish. Hang where the squirrels can't get it.

The frugal bird feeders I use are empty milk jugs with a large hole cut in the side including the neck. Hang the feeder by the jug handle. These hold alot of bird seed so it doesn't require refilling everyday.

You can also use 2 liter bottles. Just cut a hole in the side and hang with twine by the neck. You might want to cut the hole somewhat small to discourage bigger birds who might "hog" the food.

I use Stove eye covers and put drain holes in them with a nail. Turn them upside down so the feed does not slide off, nail them to the top of a fence post, pour seed on top. Make one for each fence post. Feeds a lot of birds & cheap at the dollar stores.

I have some old cookie sheets...the kind with raised edges. I set these on the ground and put seed in them. The advantage is that when there is snow, I can keep them on top of the snow where the birds can get the seed. If the seed gets covered with snow, I just dump it and add more seed. The birds will find the dumped seed when the snow melts. Also I found some small round feeders at the dollar store. They hold about a cup and a half of seed, so need to be filled almost daily, but you could have plenty of them and not spend anywhere near $70.

thats the problem im having is the blue jays! they are the size of a small chicken up here! seriously! there much bigger than a cornish hen! and they like to take all the food and the chickadees are literally left out in the cold.

Besides frisbees, you could use old pie pans, just do as you would for hanging the frisbee, with drain holes and holes on the side for hanging, we have also nailed them on top of post. They hold a lot of seed.

buy a 10 ft. section of 4 in. or larger plastic pipe,cut into 5, 2ft. sections,buy 5 plastic caps that fit and 5 that are 1 in. larger. drill holes near the bottom of one end and glue to large cap with pipe cement.use the caps that fit as a top. drill 2 tiny holes near top and hang with wire. they're cheap and hold alot of feed and can be painted with plastic paint. also a cheap small animal water bottle can be used to feed humming birds,just paint the tip red with fingernail polish.

I put tricky feeders on my balcony rail. Large rubber bands, about 6" long, can wrap around the rail and hold both sides of a small tray. Office supplies work too.

This is two interlocking uprights used for holding file folders, glued together and slid down over the rail. Upside down metal bookends also slide over the rail; you can fasten any kind of tray or kitchen lid on top.

what is a stove eye cover?

Stove eye covers are stove burner covers, round metal trays designed to decoratively cover stove burners.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJanuary 16, 2005
Homemade Bird Feeders
Homemade Bird Feeders
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Recycled Bird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder Ideas
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
🎉
🎄