Use Binder Clips to Secure Garbage Bags

Bags in garbage cans slipping. I was getting frustrated with garbage bags slipping down on the inside of my tall kitchen garbage can every time I tried to put more garbage in. I sometimes would get the bags that grip the rim but they still slipped and were more costly.

One day, I took binder clips (the black or colored clips with silver bars that you get in office supply stores) and used two clips, one on each side on the garbage can rim, clipping the bag to the can. I flipped the bars down. They easily went on and I was able to close the lid. It has worked like a charm. I can now use any type of bag that is on sale.

By Shardebhow from Cherry Hill, NJ

Great idea! We reuse all kinds of bags from lettuce to cereal to t.p. bags for our scrappy kitchen garbage and the bags are always falling down. I am going to try this. :-)

I use a large rubber band to go around the outside rim of the wastebasket.

Great post! I have used these same clips on my bags for several years and they never failed to keep my bags secure at the top. I used 4 clips though because for me with just 2, the bag would come away from the 2 sides that weren't clipped.

I had tried the large rubber band, and the bag just slipped right out of it and fell down in.

Please find other environmentally/recyclable ways to put your garbage. We use too much & the earth doesn't need more plastic it the life-stream. Plastic does Not break down or decompose well at all. It hurts & kills millions of life forms everyday. It also is found eventually in our food & liquids, therefore in us! There are many sources for information about this.

What a great idea! Thanks, it is really annoying and messy when the bags slip down.

Regarding using something other than plastic: plastic never had to be used; nor did petroleum; it simply made enormous wealth for some. Using industrial hemp which easily decomposes in a year was refused by those who made the great wealth. They are also the same who make enormous profit from chemicals; and pharmaceuticals. Change will have to come from those who do care for the health and well being of both planet and people first.

I have read so many times of people using large rubber bands to hold their trash bags in place. I tried that method and it never worked for me. So I started using the same clips you suggested and they work great! I use 4 though. One close to each corner (my container is rectangle shaped). Anyway, however many you use, they are the best thing going for holding a trash can bag in place!

Since I live in the country, I am able to burn all of my trash except for the tin cans, those can be recycled with the soda cans. I burn everything else. I purchase very cheap plastic bags and also use the plastic bags from the store if I do not take my cloth bags with me. I hardly have any trash to throw away at all, only if I do no go to the recycle station, then I throw away all my cans.

When we change our garbage bags,we use two (2) small bungee cords. We hook them together,when we have the bags the way we want them. and we can put anything we want into the can,and our bag stays in place. I smash all of the air out of the bag first, when I put it in, but hubby does not. We never have trouble with the bag sliding down. Thanks, Weezy

Sometimes just tying a knot in the top edge of bag works well. That is all I do with the smaller trach baskets/bins.

Take a wide piece of elastic and stitch closed and put that around the folded over bag on the can. Much simpler I think and use it over and over.

Syd's 2 cents

Garbage Bag in Trash Can
Keeping Garbage Bags In Place
Organizing Garbage and RecyclingNovember 5, 2009
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Making Zipper Hair Clips
Making Zipper Hair Clips
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Garbage Bag
Saving Money on Garbage Bags