Allow Your Dishwasher to Air Dry

Hello dishwasher FIENDS! To save energy costs, I fire off that sucker just an hour before bed time, then when it's done washing, I crack it open and let it air dry. If you are picky, picky, this will not eliminate all of the water spots, but your dishes will be clean!

I am not a fan of "spotless" but I am satisfied with saving money without that heat cycle.I changed all of my light bulbs and watched where the heat goes, my energy bill is always below $35.00. Good luck.

By Sue from Oroville, CA

You go girl! Would you believe, my 12 year old dishwasher has never gone through the dry cycle? What is the point? How many times when we wash a hand full of odds and ends of dishes did we ever grab a dish towel, (well I did way back in the day), and dry everything? Now, if we "take care of" a few pieces that wouldn't go in that last load of the day, they lay in the dish drainer, or on a towel, so why waste all that $?

Good tip. Even my younger son, who makes good money and loves to spend it, does this. Me, I don't even own a dishwasher - I do mine the old-fashioned way. That's even thriftier.

35 dollars? A month? What company is this through? I live in Florida and have progress energy and even without air/heat (I have fireplace) Living in, and using one room with one lamp in it, washing laundry in cold water (and sometimes myself). My bill is never lower than 200.

My dishwasher has a control where you can select to have the Heated Dry on or off, so I select off. Quite a bit of heat is generated by the hot water rinse, so the dishes are pretty dry even if there is no heated drying at the end.

My GE dishwasher has a 2- or 4-hour delay. I start it at bedtime so it runs when power rates are the lowest. If I hear the bell signalling the end of the cycle, I open the door. Otherwise, dishes dry when I open it in the morning. I never use the automatic heat drying feature. Jron7667, I'm in Fla. too and our bills are around $30-35. At this time of year, we don't need heat or A/C as our doors & windows are open all day. Completely unplug electronics when not in use. That will save a lot! Our city has just started to bill us an additional 10% on our energy usage. That goes to the city's budget, aside from Florida Power & Light. More incentive for me to conserve!

I have done this for years. If the air gets dry in the winter, I will let it dry them for the added moisture in the air.

Well, after some checking around, and asking 14 different neighbors, I couldn't find anyone in my area with bills cheaper than 200/250 ! I just got my cheapest bill ever and it was 251. As stated previously, I go without air/heat (I have fireplace) Live in, and use one room with one lamp in it, wash laundry in cold water (and sometimes myself), only have my refrigerator and range plugged in (My pc runs on battery) mine is never below 200. Must just be our area!

Our bill for the month is about $4.00! If that! That includes have central air too! Go solar! Great advise. I turned off my heat on my dishwasher also.

Dishwasher with dishes in it.
Dishwasher Tips and Tricks
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyNovember 2, 2009
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Are the Dishes in the Dishwasher Clean or Dirty?
Washing Silverware in the Dishwasher