Dishwasher Tips and Tricks

Category Dishes
Using your dishwasher regularly can save time, water and energy. This guide contains dishwasher tips and tricks.

Hello dishwasher FIENDS! To save energy costs, I fire off that sucker just an hour before bed time, then when it's done washing, I crack it open and let it air dry. If you are picky, picky, this will not eliminate all of the water spots, but your dishes will be clean!

I am not a fan of "spotless" but I am satisfied with saving money without that heat cycle.I changed all of my light bulbs and watched where the heat goes, my energy bill is always below $35.00. Good luck.

By Sue from Oroville, CA

Use the dishwasher to wash baseball caps. Place caps on the top rack and wash them without losing their shape. Don't use your dishwasher's heat drying option. Allow caps to air dry. Caps can also be washed in a top loading machine.

You can also wash insulated lunch bags in the dishwasher, on the top rack. Plastic pet or children's toys can be washed on the regular dish cycle.

The dishwasher can also be used to wash miscellaneous household items like glass light fixture covers, shower heads, or appliance parts, such as stove grates, burner covers, or your microwave tray. Also clean metal screen from the vent over the stove in the dishwasher.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

If you have trouble with your silverware falling on through your utensil basket in the dishwasher, save those old scrubber pads and line the bottoms of the compartments with them. The mesh ones work great because they will let food particles fall through. You can easily pull them out and rinse the food off that remains.

Source: Women's World

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

My DH suggested this one and it makes a lot of sense to me. Instead of trying to remember whether or not the dishwasher is "clean", when he's here alone and has a load too small to run right away, he will put the bottle of dishwasher liquid in the rack with the dishes. If it's not there we know it has been run. I've started doing that too and it's been a big help.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

You can repurpose the baskets from a broken dishwasher. Use the basket with wheels to easily move file baskets or craft and sewing supplies. Another use for a metal basket is to carry and store barbecue utensils in or store small gardening tools and gloves in.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

When washing dishes in a dishwasher I got tired of the lighter weight items (Gladware, etc.) flipping over and filling with water only to have to be washed 1 more time. So I started using anti-spatter frying shield over the top of the top rack items.

Doesn't stop the problem altogether, but sure cuts down on the number of plastic dishes and bowls that are upside down and full of water. Now it is seems like a kind of no-brainer that I should have thought of a long time ago.

Bruce from Portland, OR

I've had to replace a few dishwashers in my day and have determined that those silverware baskets are great for many things. Here are two uses for them.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Here is how I use my 10-year-old-three-cycle dishwasher, so it doesn't "cook" the food in the plates. First, I must say that I never rinse any of my dishes; I put all of them right away in the dishwasher.

I run items such as small plastic storage baskets or bins, refrigerator door bins, cutlery trays and ceramic crocks used to hold cooking utensils through the dishwasher.

Consider using gel dishwasher detergent or gel-pacs in your dishwasher. They aren't as abrasive as the powder detergents are. They will get the job done without leaving scratches on your dishes.

Knowing whether or not the dishes in the dishwasher are clean can be a problem in some households. Make a clean or dirty dishwasher indicator to help alleviate this potential issue.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about are the dishes in the dishwasher clean or dirty? It is not always easy to tell whether the dishwasher has been run yet or not, and you may need a way to let other household members know.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about washing silverware in the dishwasher. Make sure your silverware is clean and easy to put away.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My sister has a problem with dirty dishes left in her dishwasher. She has been having renovations done to her condo, and before she could run the dishwasher, her building crew turned off the water. Now the dishes have been in there a while and she's afraid that there will be a lasting odor in the dishwasher. I told her to run the cycle with a box of baking soda in it, but maybe some one out there has a tried and true solution.

smoochie

Answers

Any of your natural cleaners, i.e. vinegar, soda, bleach, should work. There might be a problem getting it to run after having been turned off for a long time. Some times they don't want to work after being off for a long time.

If the load was never started she could just hand wash the dishes.

Place a mug full of vinegar in the empty dishwasher and run. This will remove most odors. This can be done once a month to keep the dishwasher running well and the dishes coming out clean. The vinegar breaks down fats and oils that accumulate in the dishwashers drains over time.

Also if the odor is very strong and pervasive take a tray and fill it with charcoal briquets (the ones you use for the summer BBQ) leave the tray in the dishwasher when not in use. Change the tray every 1-2 days until the odor is gone. This also works well for the Fridge or just about anywhere else you can think of.

The absolute best dishwasher cleaner/deodorizer is Tang powder, the citric acid in it degreases/cleans/deodorizes like nothing else! Even store brand orange drink mix works great! Just put one cup of the powder in the bottom of the dishwasher and run it on a long cycle.

In the meantime (until the water is turned back on), get the old dirty dishes out ASAP, and try the other suggestions for odor control. I would put some charcoal briquetets in an old panty hose leg and hang it from the top rack.

How do I stop my plastic square bowls from flipping over?

By Cathy

Answers

I always invert the plastic bowls on top of the glasses and mugs, saving space and they don't flip over. Hope this helps.

How can I keep my dishwasher running smoothly?

By Rosie

Answers

There are so many things you can do. First being swaps with friends, family, or via internet. Second, consignments, Goodwill etc. I almost never buy new anymore, there is no reason to spend top dollar. Check with churches, local outreaches, etc for any goodwill opportunities, I know in my city, there are churches etc, that will supply many things, including school supplies.

Can washing dishes in the dishwasher with stainless steel ware cause graying on everything? Also graying inside the dishwasher?

By Roberta D.

Save energy costs by turning off your dishwasher after the rinse cycle and before the dry cycle. Leave the dishwasher door slightly ajar, and let your dishes air dry. You can dry with a towel if you need them right away.

Source: Mom

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Answers:

Turn Dish Washer Off Before the Dry Cycle to Save Energy

This is a good idea, but remember to go ahead and run that hot dry cycle if someone in the house is sick. The hot dry is where the dishes get sterilized. The regular hot water cycle doesn't do it. (02/18/2008)

By chretienne

If you keep the door shut tight, it will trap all the steam which will dry your dishes faster and then when cooled down, open the door to let them air dry the rest of the way. (02/18/2008)

By