Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

0EmailPrintFollowSave

White marks appear on my timber dining table when cold drinks leave wet marks on the table. How can I remove them?

By carole from Vic

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Lilac 20 1,329 02/20/2011 Flag

You can't put water on good wood. Teach your family that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By rugbratzmom 1 09/04/2011 Flag

My mother wiped down my kitchen table and then set a plastic bag down on the still wet table. The toothpaste and baking soda took the mark right out and any other minor scratches. Thanks

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Greta G. 1 06/05/2013 Flag

I have yet to try the steam iron/cotton towel trick but if you find a ring right away cover the area with uncooked rice (or barley if you're out of rice like I was) let it sit for a few minutes and it will soak up the moisture like magic.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

We have a dark wooden table with a lacquer on the top and there are many white ring marks from mugs and water glasses. We don't know how to remove them. We have had quotes from professionals but they want between 2-3,000 pounds! Does anyone know how this can be done cheaply?

Karen from London, UK

Answers:

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Try rubbing the area with toothpaste! (11/01/2008)

By maggie

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Check out my article on removing white rings: http://raidz.net/blog/how-remove-white-rings-and-water-spots-your-furniture (11/03/2008)

By Andrew

How do you get a cup ring off a table? The table is light oak and it has a coffee cup stain on it.

Marlene from Elma, Washington

Feedback:

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I am very cynical about "fixes" I read online, but out of desperation due to white heat spots on our beautiful handmade table from Thanksgiving dinner, I searched for a "cure." I tried the steam iron, somewhat hesitantly at first, and it worked in less than a minute! I used a white cotton dish towel - folded, set the iron on medium steam and at 6 out of 8 for heat, and it really worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you. A little lemon oil afterward and my table is beautiful again. I am a believer! (11/30/2008)

By Ellen

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

We are in temporary housing with rental furniture and got a large (12" diameter) steam spot on our dining table a month or so ago. I was sure I was going to end up owning this table after paying for damages, but lo and behold: the "Dave" method with an iron worked perfectly! I used one of my husband's clean cotton handkerchiefs folded in half and high dry heat and just "ironed" the spot back and forth (the handkerchief moved with the iron with consistent pressure), and with patience the spot was gone with no marks from the iron - in less than 5 minutes! Thanks and hope this helps. (12/11/2008)

By Sherri

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

The peanut butter worked great! (12/23/2008)

By Bonnie

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

(Submitted by email)

Try using mayonnaise, it works great. Rub it in lightly, then it has to sit on the stain for a few hours.

Matt (01/06/2009)

By Sally_Admin

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

That dry iron and tea towel technique really works. Thanks, Dave! I may even start looking for antique items that have been marked way down because of water marks, heh heh. :) I've also noted your "easy does it" caveat, Two Ens. Thanks! (02/11/2009)

By Joan

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

P.S. Thanks to Eric in Massachusetts for your caveat, too. (Fan O' Dave. "He never woke up"? =:O ) (02/11/2009)

By Joan

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I have just sold a beautiful oak coffee table on ebay for a handsome price, while cleaning it ready for the buyer to collect I noticed a cup ring. The more I polished it the more it glared at me. So I logged on to here to see how to get rid of it, having been to 3 different shops to buy a product that no-one sold. So I thought, let's try the iron thing it seems to be popular. And yes, it worked in less than a minute. Thank god for Dave. (02/14/2009)

By Helene D.

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Thank you so much, Dave. Your iron and towel method just saved my life. My wife has been haunting me on the mug ring I had accidentally caused on our teak coffee table. Best solutions are the simplest! (08/23/2009)

By slong8811

My oak dresser has a ring where the lamp sat. How do I remove it?

By kld1013

Feedback:

RE: Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I just used the iron over the folded handkerchief, and it worked like magic. It took about 5 minutes of circular rubbing, but a very nasty white stain just slowly disappeared. Thanks so much. I was ready to throw out a $300 coffee table! Alan (12/27/2009)

By spectreben