Slugs and SnailsPest Control

Keeping Slugs Out of Water Dish

How do I prevent slugs from invading my cats' water dish? They do this every night and it quickly fills with algae. What can I do for this?

Leah from Union, SC

Here's a suggestion from when I used to have outside dogs and cats: Get a plant/flower pot drain dish (ceramic, terra cotta, or even the cheap-o plastic is fine) larger than the water bowl (1-2" larger is good), place a thick layer of regular table salt into the drain dish, place the water bowl on top of the salt in the dish. You may need to scoop out any "debris" but @ least, the slimey's shouldn't be making it into the water.

Anonymous

To keep ants out of my cat's dishes, I fill a shallow container with water, then put a smaller bowl in the middle with the cats food inside the smaller bowl; sort of like a moat around a castle. This works real good for ant prevention; you could give it a try for slugs. Also, slugs don't like salt or broken egg shells; you could surround the food bowl with either of these and see if that works. Good luck.

Put salt around it. Salt kills slugs.

Check out this article on how to get rid of slugs in general:

http://www.getr  rid-of-slugs.htm

One of the ways rec is copper strips they sell for the garden. I don't know if these would work around a dish as I have never seen them.I dont know if they have sharp edges or not. But apparently the copper gives the slugs a shock. Maybe if you put the cat's dish on a copper tray or inside a copper pot it would work the same way. I would check with your vet to make sure it is safe though.

Just make your cat an indoor cat. ;-)