Tea Tree Oil for Canine Yeast Infections

How do you use tea tree oil for canine yeast infection in ears?

Debe from Jamestown, RI

Best Answer

Earthclinic.com has lots of home remedies for pets. Check on the toxicity of tea tree oil on pets before using it though. Racer

Best Answer

I don't know too much about using the tea tree oil for this, BUT, I have another tip for you. My dog had a bad yeast problem with constant hot spots, scratching, and icky ears. My vet gave me drops for the ears and I added some plain yogurt to her diet each day. She is a Bichon and not too large but I give her a heaping tablespoon or more each day in her bowl. Sometimes I give it twice a day.

She also had stomach issues and we would find little piles of yellow icky stuff around. Since I started the yogurt, she has been incredibly better. No hot spots so far, knock on wood and no more stomach problems. The good bacteria in the yogurt kills off the yeast issues. Make sure it's unsweetened. I use Stoneyfield plain. It's been at least 8-9 months since I started the yogurt and so far so good. The vet also told me to clean her ears regularly with peroxide on a cotton ball, dampened, not soaking. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

It doesn't matter if it is yeast or ear mites, tea tree will help heal and soothe your pet. Get a carrier oil--olive oil will do. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to about 1 oz of the carrier oil. After cleaning the ears with peroxide (if you can), add some tea tree oil mixture, close the ear and rub the ourside to distribute it. After a few days, your pet should feel better. But remember, it the problem is yeast (systemic), you will have to deal with it because the tea tree mixture will only treat symptoms, not the actual problem. Like butterfly suggested, you can give your pet yogurt, or just buy some acedophilus or probiotics and mix some with food daily. Yeast feeds on sugars and grains, so you may want to check your pet food.

I don't know about Debe's dog, but my dog's GROOMER told me my dog had a yeast infection in her ears.

Instead of going the pharmaceutical medication route, I would like to find a natural or herbal remedy, too.

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL