Teflon Pans In Oven Drawer?

I have fairly new oven in my apartment, but I was wondering about something. There is a fairly large drawer underneath the oven that can store pots and pans, are there certain pots, pans, racks or trays that I should or should not store underneath the oven? I'm asking because my girlfriend told me that putting items with Teflon coating would be damaged if I put them down there. What is the real deal here?

Brendan from Bellevue, WA

I keep my Teflon pans in the drawer under my oven and don't see that they're damaged in any way. God bless you!

Brendan: I have a large drawer under my oven. I have stored my T-Fal cookware in the drawer since purchasing the oven 9 years ago. I have had no problems at all. I purchased a package of washcloths at the dollar store and place a washcloth between each pan when storing them in order to prevent scratches. I have also stored a pizza size baking stone in the drawer with no problems.

Hi Brendan, The teflon can be scratched quite easily, and when it comes off the pan won't be non-stick anymore. I place an old dish-towel or piece of cloth on the top of my teflon pans, then you can stack other pans on top without them scratching and removing the teflon coating. Good luck.

If you are worried about putting your teflon pans in a drawer, why not hang them.

The cupboard that I store my pots and pans has two doors in front. I put a cup hook on the inside of the door and hang the frying pan on the door.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJuly 12, 2007
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Egg frying in Teflon pan on gas stove.
Cleaning Teflon
Opening a Stuck Drawer
Opening a Stuck Drawer