How is Mange Transmitted from Dogs to Humans?

A friend with 10 dogs just rescued a puppy with mange. She rushed it to the vet, he is still there a month later as to not infect the other dogs. She, my friend, is being treated too.

My question is, will I catch anything by going to her home and feeding her other dogs while she's out of town? Her others dogs don't have it, but she does, and she's around them all the time. I'm just worried. Thanks for any help.

By Laney T.

It is spread by direct contact. I had gotten it on my hands, when I was a teen, from my mother's dogs.

You can try wearing gloves while you are there, and watching for any signs of itching. If any starts, see your doctor right away.

Talk to the Veterinarian treating the puppy for your correct answer.

Mange is caused by mites that can be transferred easily, both to other dogs or humans. The vet probably kept the puppy because most of the treatments they use are just too harsh for a tiny puppy. You can put some tea tree oil in either shampoo or body wash to kill the mange mite. I've shampooed many dogs with tea tree oil in baby shampoo, and it has worked wonderfully. It's both cheap and mild, just be sure to keep it out of eyes. It also soothes the dog's skin (or yours). You must also wash the dog's bedding to kill mites present. Give this a try, it's much cheaper than a high vet bill.

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 4, 2011
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Remedies for Dog Mange
Remedies for Dog Mange
A dog and its owner.
Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?