AdviceBudget & Finance

Ask For Reimbursement For Damages

There is no harm in asking for a fix to your problem if someone else caused it, they can only say no. Often they say yes. For example, our boat was covered with rust stains after a rusty flag pole was cut down, ruining our new paint job. Hubby said nothing could be done, but I thought the management should do something. After we asked, they offered to do a free power-wash/detailing of the boat. If that doesn't work, we will ask for help in $ for paint. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. This principle of asking for redress has stood me in good stead over the years, as I have gotten reimbursed for other people's failures even when lawyers said not to bother.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

The boat got a nice power wash & it's lovely!

I agree you should always ask. I have a couple of times addressed problems with products via their webpage contact and gotten a replacement product for no charge. My husband says dont worry we will buy another but its ridiculous to do that when you are not at fault.

Pamphyila, I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd rather not "eat" the cost of someone else's lack or oversight. I spent half of this morning on the phone due to a lack of communication between our mortgage servicing provider and our insurance broker. Hubby would've refused to deal with the issue, not me!

Many times I have said to my husband "it can't hurt to ask" and it was a wise decision on my part when he didn't think it would do any good. Thanks for sharing!

Seems to me your boat should have been moved prior to them cutting down such a hazard as a rusting flag pole.