Use Child's Wagon to Haul Laundry Outside

Carrying laundry baskets has become a major problem for me as well as the bending and hanging laundry due to fibromyalgia and back problems. But running a dryer isn't economical. So, I load two round baskets instead of using one large basket with my laundry to make them lighter and carry them out the door and put them in a children's wagon. The wagon holds both baskets. I attached a bungee cord to the handle to keep it upright when I am not hanging on to it. I then pull the wagon to the clothes line and hang up my laundry. No bending and minimal carrying.

By Jackie from Nunda, NY

I am lucky enough to have my clothesline near my laundry room door; but after I had my appendix out and was not supposed to lift anything, I found that I could just sling a clean item over each shoulder, put one in my hand, and I could hang three things and then make another trip. It was more steps, but my feet didn't mind the exercise.

So, another alternative, if lifting is hard for you, is to just make more trips. It takes a bit longer, but the exercise is good for you.

Thanks for this great solution. I have fibromyalgia too and am always looking for ways to simplify the work that must be done around the house. I often wish there were more places to set things down at a comfortable height.

I use my grandkid's wagon to bring in the bags of groceries from the car too. It helps when things are too heavy to carry and Hubby isn't around to help.

You may want to consider using a <a href=""> clothes drying rack</a> that you can place near your washer. Then you will not need to carry your laundry at all.

I have Fibromyalgia too! I try to think of ways to help myself move or lift things too. The little wagon was such a great idea! I'll have to look for one.

At the present I use a little garden cart to help get groceries from the car into the garage. I try to put the frozen things together, so they can be put right into the freezer, in the garage, Otherwise, I found that I was carrying all the bags into the kitchen. Then I had to make numerous trips carrying things back to the garage to the freezer. Thanks for sharing!

I've used our old rusted-bedded red wagon for hauling plants while planting and transplanting, as well as for moving yard clippings to our compost pile! We don't have a wheel barrow yet but the wagon serves us for now. :) haha!

I too have Fibro and have been doing the same thing as you for 2 years. If a storm is approaching and I must remove the clothes quickly, I like to hang things not-quite-dry on the handle and then load them on the top of the basket. Frequently the handle will fall to the ground. The bungee cord is a great idea and I will surely use it. Thanks so much.

I have fibro as well. I was hesitant to even attempt hanging my clothes but you've hit on a great idea! I plan to give it a go as soon as all this snow lets up.

Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Line Drying Clothing Tips and Tricks
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsFebruary 23, 2009
Wagon Wheel Doily
Making a Wagon Wheel Doily
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
Installing a Breezecatcher Rotary Clothesline