Last of the Farms (Chicago, IL)

The Midwest morning offered a slight chill and this view out my back window.

Later on, the Amigos from down the street rode to their weekly rodeo.

This one of the few farms left in this Chicago suburb. Soon it will give way to a subdivision.

By Suefu from Naperville, IL

It makes me sad to see farm land go so fast. I am a farmer's daughter and our land here in AR is dying out to homes and industry. Some beautiful farm land was just sold in our county for an airport (imagine, on the flood lines of the AR Riv.) and now the land around it is designated as industrial. What happens when we lose these prime growing spots with our populations increasing all the time. Will all our vegetables be grown in green houses? So very sad.

Back in 1961 when my parents decided to move us from Chicago out to the 'burbs there were farms everywhere. There was a working farm right across the road from the grade school I attended. The farmer's son was in my grade. It's gone now, turned into an office park with a huge very expensive hotel on site. So sad.

Photo of a beautiful farm.
Farm Photos
Photos FarmJuly 6, 2011
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
The Cloud Gate Bean in Chicago.
Chicago Travel Tips
tennis shoes
Making Your Shoes Last Longer