Keeping Dog's Ears Floppy

My 4 month old Dachshund's ears are folding and sticking out. What can I do about this?

By Judy from Lake Charles, LA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Please, do nothing. That is his personality.

Judy, I had the same problem and here is what I did. I took an ACE bandage, positioned his ears the way I wanted them, and secured them with the bandage for a 2 week period. Each day I would unwrap and clean his ears and let the air get to them for no longer than 30 min, then re-wrap. He now has wonderful floppy ears. If in 2 weeks you find you have the same problem, try for another 2 week period. Good luck. I did this method to avoid sores on his ears that you will get from using sports tape. Tom.

Just love him, we all have faults and they never say anything when we are having a bad hair day. Its just part of his character.

Answer

I have a 2 year old miniature Dachshund. Recently his ears have begun to fold; they now look like two fortune cookies. Is there a way to tape his ears to train them to be floppy again?

I saw where a previous poster had a similar problem and before everyone says it is cruel, he is my pet and he will be a show animal.

By Tom from Springfield, IL

Keeping Dog's Ears Floppy

Perhaps you should ask people who already show their dogs and know the tricks of the trade. By the way, if you re-read the similar problem you mention in the archives below, you will see the question was regarding a mixed breed dog of which one breed has naturally pointed ears. (02/26/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a four month old Chihuahua Dachshund mix. He had the traditional dachshund ears that flop over and now his ears kinda crease down the middle the long way and kinda stick out.

Is there any way to tape them down so they can be trained to be floppy again? And before you say it's cruel and to accept my dog the way he is, I love him to death, I just love the floppy ears. Also, what will his grown up weight be? He's 5 lbs now and almost 5 months old.

By MissRhonda from Palm Beach, FL

Keeping Dog's Ears Floppy

I wouldn't worry. At 5 months old he is just a puppy. His ears my try to stand up, but I would bet that by the time he is
grown, his ears will be too long to stand and will be floppy. Just give him lots of love and he will be fine. (10/22/2009)

By sameoleme

Keeping Dog's Ears Floppy

Please leave his ears alone. Yes, I know you love him, but after all what can you expect with a mixed breed dog where one breed is born with perky pointed ears and the other floppy? He's going to be cute no matter what, because he is what he is. Just like with people, it's the heart and personality that matter and not how one looks. From the bottom of my heart I am not trying to be mean, but to make a point I have to ask, "Would your dog tape your ears if he wasn't happy about the way they look?" (10/23/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 20, 2010
floppy disk pen holder
Uses for Old Floppy Disks
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Cleaning Your Dog's Ears, A basset hound puppy with long brown ears.
Cleaning Your Dog's Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 4:26:43 PM on 10.0.1.131 in 688 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.