Homemade Bug Repellent

I am looking for DIY insect or bug repellent?

By Robin

My mom swears by vinegar. She cuts it with water and puts it in a spray bottle.

If anything homemade actually worked, Deet would not have been developed.

Thermocells and Off Lamps work in repelling mosquitoes from your area. They do not seem as stinky to me as the coils, which also work but have quite a strong smell. If you don't want to put something on your skin, this is the way to go.

Another solution, if you are working in your yard, is a big jacket with hood. The hood zips up and covers your face. And cover up the rest of your body-pants, socks, and gloves. My son, who hates chemicals wears one of these. He is building a log house next to a forest preserve and a river, lots of skeeters there. Inside his house, he has a thing shaped like a badminton racket that he swats/swishes mosquitoes with. It has batteries and kills them with an electric current; good for enclosed spaces with a limited number of mosquitoes, like inside a screen porch or your house. Some people use them around a campfire, swishing in front of their face, maybe it helps there too. It gives you something to do, anyway. However, it is effective in an enclosed space and works way better than swatting with your hand.

I use Deep Woods Off; if you have lots of mosquitoes you need a repellant with about 25% Deet. I live in Saskatchewan, and we are having a terrific (or horrific, depending on your viewpoint) mosquito year because of all the rain and flooding we have had. Trust me; I know my mosquito repellants.

Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
Home and Garden Pest Control RepellantsJuly 28, 2011
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Ladybug on a blade of grass
Lady Bug Photos and Information
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes