Grocery ShoppingShopping

Bulk Bargains in the Meat Department

With grocery bills going through the roof, I am always on the lookout for ways to trim mine. I always look for bargains in the meat department and last month found a real money saver.

Boneless chicken, pork loin and beef round were all on sale (at three different stores) for 99 cents a pound. But you had to buy at least 3-5 pounds of a meat to get the price.

As I was deciding how to justify 5 pounds of round roast for my small family, the butcher saw me and suggested I have him grind half! What a great idea! I got about 3 pounds of extra lean ground beef for only 99 cents a pound instead of the usual 3 dollar price, and I also had a nice 2 pound roast.

I did the same thing with the other meats. Now I have plenty of ground chicken, ground pork and hamburger meat for several weeks. All at only 99 cents a pound! From now on I will always look at the cheaper, large family pack sizes and think of the "grinding" possibilities.

By plumcottage from a cottage by the Sea