How to Starch Felt

I would like to make something out of felt and stiffen it with starch, but I have never tried this before. Could anyone please tell me if the starch would alter the felt drastically or if there is a specific brand that works better? Thanks in advance.

Jane from OH

Hi Jane I am just experimenting with this right now - have soaked the felt in a PVA water solution and then placed it on the mould I am using in this case a balloon. This works OK but the felt I made is very fine and when the balloon was let down the felt was not really firm enough to hold the shape. It does dry clear though. This works better with a thicker felt. Now I am trying a sticky rice flour starch to harden fine felt over a glass vase as my mold. Not sure how it will work, Have just been looking at the homemade starch receipes on this site as well.

There's a product called "Stiffy" - I think. I see it often around Halloween, to use on cheese cloth to make stand-up ghosts. You might check to see if your craft store has some and if this would work for you.