Removing Starch from Doilies

Doilies are sometimes starched prior to use for a more formal look. Later you may want to remove the starch. This is a guide about removing starch from doilies.

I'm looking for a way to remove starch from a doily. This is a crocheted doily that was heavily starched. I would like it to be pliable again. I've soaked it in hot water, have laundered it several times. Nothing has worked so far. Any suggestions?

Barbara from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

If the wash didn't take it out, then I'll just bet it wasn't starched to begin with! I have some wonderful crocheted christmas tree ornaments that I thought were starched but obviously aren't, after 20 years they still look amazing. They are covered with some sort of plastic coating. I'll bet your doily was done the same way, it was preserved with something permanent. Starch always dissolves in water.

I used some liquid stiffener from the fabric store, and it won't wash out either. I regret using it.

I starched a thin slippery piece of fabric (polyester) to make it easier to sew. Now that I finished sewing the blouse, the starch will not wash out!

I used a home made starch spray with water, starch and alcohol. I tried washing in cold water and hot water. It's sad that all the work I put in this garment is now wasted.