Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Silverware Wind Chimes

How do I make wind chimes using silver flatware?

Marilyn from Colfax, LA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Gia K (Guest Post)05/18/2008

I am having trouble with bending the fork tines. What is the easiest way to do that? Do I need special tools?

THANK YOU!

By tpm (Guest Post)03/03/2008

I'm making a wind chime for a project. Thanks a lot.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft: Silverware Wind Chimes

When those darling little birds peck gaping wounds in your tomatoes, consider adding wind chimes to your garden décor. A creative and fun alternative to store bought chimes is a homemade creation that will become a conversation piece. Using old silverware and some string, you can make a set of loud wind chimes that are whimsical and practical. And what better location for silverware wind chimes than in the garden, where your food originates?

What you'll need:

• 4-5 spoons
  • 1 fork
  • Yarn, twine, or embroidery thread
  • Beads for embellishment
  • Scissors
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wind!

What you'll need:

With needle nose pliers, bend every other tine of the fork at a right angle to the handle (see photo), and then curl the ends of the tines into circles, or eyes. Bend the handle of the fork into a hook. Cut four or five 10" lengths of string, twine, or yarn. The number of lengths you need is determined by the number of tines on the fork. Add beads to the string as an embellishment at this time. Tie one end of each string onto the handle of a spoon, then thread the other end through the eye on a tine of the fork. Repeat this for the remaining spoons. All of the spoons need to hang at the same distance from the tines so that they will strike one another to make a sound.

Hang your silverware wind chimes in the garden, outside a kitchen window, or near a picnic area. These make fun gifts for children to create. Many second hand stores have a selection of used silverware, and discount stores sell inexpensive bundles of silverware.

© 2005 ThriftyFun

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

I love this idea! I will have to make one.. (09/16/2004)

By lorac456

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

I've done this before. Go to your local Goodwill Store or Thrift shop, for very inexpensive silverware. (09/16/2004)

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

Anyone have any tips for drilling the holes? What's the best type of bit or drill to use so that the saucer doesn't break? These look like a lot of fun. (09/16/2004)

By SS

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

Try a diamond drill bit. These sound cute... how difficult is it to bend the tines of the fork? I've seen picture easels made out of them, but can't figure how to make them "curl". (09/18/2004)

By DL1052MCD

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

I warm my forks in the oven (it makes them more pliable). Then I use needle nose pliers to curl the prongs. (02/17/2005)

By Lighten Up

Silverware Wind Chimes

Want an unusual outdoor piece of artwork? Like wind chimes? My mother taught me this one - First you find mismatched silver flatware about 5 pieces. Anything that suits your fancy. Then if you have forks you bend the tines into curls, the spoons and knives you make waves into. Then you find a cup saucer that speaks to your artistic nature and drill five holes around the rim and one in the center. Drill holes into the handles of the flatware. You can use string, twine, ribbon, fishing line, whatever moves you to hang the flatware in five varying lengths on the saucer. Then string the saucer up somewhere where you'll be able to hear its chimes and you're done! (06/30/2005)

By Suzanne S.

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

I love it. I have lots of windchimes....I love the sound of them.....think maybe it drives my neighbors mad though :0) . Thanx for sharing this great idea. Going to have to make some for the hubby's veggie garden to protect his produce. (06/30/2005)

By grammar

Archive: Craft: Silverware Wind Chimes

Materials:

Use old silver silverware for the best "sounds", and usually they are more ornamental than what you find in a dollar store or such.

• 1 fork
  • 1 spoon
  • 4 other forks or knives
  • Fishing line
  • Drill and small drill bit
  • Pliers

Directions:

Drill small holes in the handles of each utensil.

Using the pliers, bend the tines of one fork out in each direction (think west, north, south, east), and then curl the ends upwards. Tie a length of fishing line to the spoon. The spoon will hang in the middle, so tie it to one of the middle tines of the fork, as close to the center of it as you can get. Next, tie a length of fishing line to each of the other utensils and hang them from each curl of the fork.

The sound of the chime is beautiful. If using the knives, the sound will be lower. Other forks make a tinkling sound. You can let the spoon hang naturally, or bend the ladle part up so as to hit the other utensils more frequently.

By Dawn Salisbury from Ogallala, NE

RE: Silverware Wind Chimes

I have seen silverware windchimes with old food graters at the top of the chimes and the silverware hangs from the grater or use an old beater with the handle at the top and hang the silverware from the beaters. Use any small old kitchen item to hang the silver ware from the bottom of that kitchen item. A small silver teapot from a chinese restaurant could be used by drilling holes in the bottom and the silverware hung from the bottom of the teapot. There are numerous ideas to use to make windchimes out of silverware. I make place card holders out of old silverware; cut off the handle half way down, bend tines up to hold the card, tines down to stand the piece up; it is a pretty, unique to display place cards for your holiday table or a sentimental greeting card. (07/20/2007)

By WandaJo