Painting Wood Paneling

Is there any way to fill in the grooves in wall paneling before you paint?

By Sandra from Mount Laurel, NJ

You must mean the grooves or small holes in wall paneling. Fill them in with wood filler that you can buy in any store such as Home Depot, etc.

Wood filler, available near the paint at Walmart for about $5 a container, is a good bet for the dips where the lines in the paneling are. You will need a putty knife to smooth the surface and make it even with the rest of the panel. Wait a couple of hours and then you can paint it, or run a sander along to make perfectly smooth and THEN paint it.

Will take a little extra time but the results are worth it. I used wood filler and a sander on a cedar playground set I got for free, and turned it into something beautiful and usable once again. Best of luck with your project!

Will be easier to paint if you put a layer of Kilz on it first :).

Personally, I like the look of painted paneling with the groves. I see it all the time on decorating shows and magazines. I think it gives the wall character.

I have an old house and one wall in each room was paneled with ugly stuff. I just primed it and painted it. If you try to fill it in it will probably come back out in pieces if the wall is hit or from eventual shrinkage. Most people don't even realize the walls have paneling on them.

You can pick up paintable wall paper liner to put on first, then paint it. All wallpaper books have the instructions when wallpapering over panelling. I pick this up to put on 'failing walls' on older house walls. Seals it nice, lets to wall paper or paint over it.

Painting Wood Paneling
Painting Wood Paneling
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingFebruary 28, 2011
Wallpaper installed over wood paneling.
Wallpapering Over Wood Paneling
room with wallpaper
Updating Old Wood Paneling
Wood Paneling
Removing Water Stains from Barnwood Paneling
Refinishing Wood Paneling
Refinishing Wood Paneling