Some of the Kernels on My Frozen Corn Turned Brown

I tried freezing corn on the cob this year. I followed the instructions in a preserving book. After a few days in the freezer several kernels turned brown. Is this still safe to eat? What happened?

By Geraldine from Havre, MT

If too high a temperature is used when cooking, caramelization of the sugar occurs in the corn, causing the kernels to turn brown.

When I freeze corn on the cob, I shuck the ear and put it in the freezer as is, I put several in a ziplock freezer bag. I live alone so when I want one for a meal, I take out one, wrap it in paper towel and nuke it for 4 minutes. I could boil it, I just don't want to.

You didn't say how you stored your corn in the freezer.

I cut both ends of the ear of corn, remove loose husks, put ears with husks on into a brown paper grocery bag, close the top and freeze. I can remove any amount of corn, finish husking and cook. The best way to cook corn on the cob (learned from grandmother 50 years ago) is to bring water to a boil, drop corn in, when water begins to boil again, corn is done.

Freezing Corn
Freezing Corn
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesSeptember 13, 2010
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
🎉
🎄