BeveragesFood Tips

Savings on Cola

I have a tip for people who like my husband just has to have coke in the morning and throughout the day, that's my husbands coffee.

He was going to the convience store and buying 20 oz cokes and they are at least $1.19 a bottle, he was buying at least 3 per day and that adds up to $3.57 not including tax, for a 30 day month thats a $107.10 just for coke.

So one day I was at Kroger and saw their 2 litre bottles of cola for only 55 cents, I got one and asked my husband to give it a try, he really liked it, so I went back and got 30 more of the 2 litre bottles of Kroger cola for only $16.50 and put them in the refrig. as needed.

He takes one every morning, reuses a 20 oz coke bottle and ends up getting 3 1/2 bottles out of it. This is a savings of $90.60 a really big savings per month for my household. This can be used to put in your savings account or maybe to help pay off a bill or save for a vacation or christmas. Its really helped us to save and hopefully will help someone else also. Most store brand are as good or better than the name brands, and at a great savings. - Becky

HI, That's an awful LOT of cola. Dentists will tell you, cola leaches

calcium from your teeth [from the outside & internally] and from your bones. It also causes an imbalance in the bodys alkaline/acid , which causes a lot of problems. Also, if he's drinking regular, instead of diet, he probably has a weight problem, which leads to all kinds of health problems. He may be addicted to the caffeine, again causing more problems. One tip that helps to cut down on colas is after brushing our teeth in the morning, drinking only water, for the rest of the day. Once we get that sweet cola taste in our mouth it makes us want more and makes water & other drinks taste bad.

Colas, as in everything else in life, are ok in moderation, but deadly in excess. Next checkup your husband has, he might want to get checked out for diabetes. It would also help if after his first morning jolt of cola-caffeine, for him to switch to caffeine-free for the rest of the day.

Last I heard there were 16 teaspoons of sugar in a 12oz can of soda that isn't diet. And the sweeteners used for diet are not all that good for people either. Especially in the amount your husband is drinking.If he isn't diabetic now he could be in the near future. Better be safe and get checked.

I was told recently that if you're going to drink colas, you need to drink the ones that are clear, not the dark ones. Clear soda pops don't take the calcium from your body.

Also, anyone drinking lots of fruit juices per day, check with your Dr. or dietician. I was and I'm diabetic, now.

Great savings at the grocery, Becky.

I bags, hubby's chips & cookies, for his lunches, rather than buying the cases of individually sized bags at the grocery. This saves us alot of money, too.

Good for you Badwater, on your savings. I confess I didn't expect to get so many negetive comments, I know there at lots of people out there that buy coke and drink it in the morning and throughout the day besides my husband. I just wanted to help them save money is all.

It's a good tip for cola drinkers. Thanks for sharing it!

I am exactly the same as your husband - but with diet coke! I have one at 7am (on the way to work) and continue through the day - but have never had a cup of coffee in my life! I'll give own brands a go based on that HUGE saving you worked out....THANKS!

Sorry Sweetie, we didn't mean to come across as so negative with our comments. You deserve a pat on the back for your frugal-ness. Keep up the good work.... :)

Check with your local Walmart, I feel their 2 liters taste like Coca-Cola to me, and I'll even mix the regular and diet to make my own CokeC2. In our area, 2 liters cost .50 cents for Sam's Choice (Walmart Brand)

BigLots is a good place too for cheap cola. .49 cents in our area.