Grow Potatoes For Patio Greenery

To dress up my front porch inexpensively, I take a potato and cut out the sections where "eyes" start growing. (The shoot that forms when they are getting too old). I place these in just enough water to keep the bottom of the section wet. Soon it will root and I then plant them in terra cotta pots with potting soil. They are cheap "plants" and produce very pretty greenery. My children loved this project.

By Tanya D from Winchester, Tn

Terrific! Thank you for this. I'm not much of a green thumb and if I ruin this, I won't mind too much!

Thank you for the great tip. I have been wanting something on my patio but the cost of plants is sky high. This will work. I once did something similar and put it a glass vase, and it grew up around the kitchen window. It looked lacy and pretty. I never thought to do it outside, Thank you again.

Carrot tops are fun too. Last year I grew one two feet tall and eventually it blossomed like Queen Anne's Lace.

Cantate

I planted all my extra pots with potatoes, I just cut hem up and put them in the pot and covered them with soil no soaking required. They have lovely flowers as well and look great. bonus potatoes in the fall, just tip the pot over in the garden and harvest your crop

Growing Potatoes
Growing Potatoes
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerMay 22, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
hand holding a potato
Harvesting Potatoes
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
potato plants growing in old white ice chest
Growing Potatoes in Containers
🎄