Growing Potatoes

Category Vegetables
Potatoes are an easy crop to add to your home vegetable garden. This is a guide about growing potatoes.

Botanical Name:

Solanum tuberosum

Description:

The potato is a perennial plant from the nightshade family, grown for its starchy tuber.

Planting Time:

fall, winter or spring depending on zone

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

light, well worked, well-drained soil with a pH of 5.0 to 6.8, that is rich in potassium and phosphorus. Avoid using lime which raises soil pH that can result in potato scab.

Planting:

Cut large potatoes into pieces for planting or use whole seed potatoes egg-size or smaller. Leave at least 3 eyes (buds) on each piece. Cure pieces for 1 to 2 days until they harden before planting. The most common planting method is to dig trenches 4 to 6 inches deep spaced 3 feet apart. Place potato pieces 10 to 15 inches apart at the bottoms of trenches and cover them with compost and soil.

Another easy method is to mulch up leaves in the fall and place potatoes on the partially decomposed leaves in the spring. Cover the pile with 1 to 1 1/2 feet of straw, mulching as needed to keep tubers covered.

Watering:

Keep soil evenly moist (not wet).

Maintenance:

Hill up dirt around plants as needed to prevent light from reaching the tubers.

Harvesting & Storage:

Most potatoes need 90 to 120 days to reach maturity. You can begin to harvest as soon as the plants flower. These tubers will be small, thin-skinned and good for boiling. Dying foliage indicates that potatoes have reached maturity. Dig up tubers or store them in the ground for several weeks during cool, dry weather. If you planted your potatoes on a mulch mound, simply removed the straw and harvest your potatoes. Store potatoes in a dark, humid place at 30º to 40ºF for long-term (4 to 5 months) storage.

Diseases and Pests:

Potatoes can suffer from several serious fungal and bacterial diseases. Minimize potential problems by selecting disease resistant varieties and practicing crop rotation.

This is a guide about planting sprouting potatoes. If those potatoes that you forgot about have begun to sprout, try planting them. As long as there is no rot you should be able to harvest a nice crop.

A sprouting potato.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

Save gardening space and grow tons of potatoes by building this stackable potato planter. This page gives you step by step instructions to make a stackable potato planter.

Building a Stackable Potato Tower

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

My neighbor planted some red Russets late February. That's the appropriate time for planting potatoes in our region. None have broken through the ground yet. That's a good thing because our official last frost date is April 15. We probably won't have any more frost this season, but Mother Nature knows best and she will decide when the potatoes should poke their foliage through the soil.

I, on the other hand, like to experiment. I bought two 5 lb bags of white Russets. They started to sprout before I could cook them all. I said "What the heck, I'll cut off some sprouts and plant them indoors, just to see what happens".

Well, my neighbor's spuds aren't up yet, but mine are. About a foot, actually. I think we've seen our last frost, but I believe it's still cold enough to hurt the foliage, if I were to I put them out now.

I'm going to send the local Ag Agent a picture of my potatoes and ask him how they should be treated at this time; wait a while, plant now, plant now with protection against cold? etc.

Everyone should know their local Ag Agent. Your taxes pays their salary. They are there to help you with gardening questions and there's no charge for their services. I haven't met one yet who wasn't very nice and very anxious to answer my questions.

PS: I planted several containers of Yukon Gold as well, and under the same conditions. None have sprouted. I assume they had been treated to prevent sprouting. Oh, well, guess I'll have to buy a bag of Yukon Gold seed potatoes. It'll be worth it. They are the best potato I've ever tasted.

I always have wrinkly old potatoes left over from my winter "load-up" in the fall. I plant them in the garden, cutting them in pieces and making sure that each piece has one or two "eyes". I plant them 6 inches deep with the eyes facing up. I always get results without wasting any of the potatoes. It works for me.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

To dress up my front porch inexpensively, I take a potato and cut out the sections where "eyes" start growing. I place these in just enough water to keep the bottom of the section wet.

When potato planting time came around, we always saved old newspapers to soak in water the night before to bed the drills before popping the seed potato in and covering with soil.

Since it is gardening season, here is a gardening tip. When you plant potatoes, layer straw on top. The plants will grow through and make potatoes on top of the ground. Layer straw about 2 feet deep as it will shrink down during the summer.

This is a guide about picking a potato variety. The variety of potato you choose to grow, will have a major impact on the taste and texture of your potato dishes.

Picking a Potato Variety

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing potatoes in containers. If you have limited garden space or poor soil, try growing potatoes in various types of containers.

potato plants growing in old white ice chest

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about harvesting potatoes. Growing your own potatoes can be a fun and rewarding part of your vegetable garden. Once the potatoes are full grown it's time to harvest them.

Harvesting Potatoes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I remember an article about planting potatoes in an upright position which allowed you to remove the bands and harvest without digging, but cannot find the article. Can someone help me?

By Marie

Answers

Best Answer

I remember reading that you plant the seed potato at "ground level", then, once the foliage is around a foot high, you add a ring (wood, old tire, etc.) and dirt to fill the ring, leaving half the plant exposed. Each time the foliage gets fairly high, you add another ring and more soil, leaving healthy foliage exposed. You continue all season, and at harvest time, you just start removing rings, and (supposedly) the tower will be full of potatoes.

Best Answer

My mom plants the seed potato about 4" in the ground, and then as the plant grows she keeps adding straw. The potatoes form in the straw.

I have little space and want to plant potatoes. I have heard they do not go good near other vegetable plants. Which plants are good to plant next to potatoes?

By Mike from Hampton, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Potatoes shouldn't be grown near tomatoes, I think because of risk of blight. They're supposed to do well near beans and corn though. Potatoes do well in tubs (especially early varieties) so you might consider growing them in containers where you could keep them away from other vegetables in the patch if need be.

I might have planted earlier than I should, we've just gotten 2 weeks of rain and cold temps. My plant's leaves have just come up, but are turning purple colored. It's not mold, is this a stress reaction to the cold and wet weather and what can I do to make them stronger? Also will putting manure down raise the pH too much? How can you tell if the pH is too high and what can I do to balance this out?

By Alex

Answers

There ARE purple potato plants and there are chartreuse ones. You might have the purple one. Was it chartreuse to begin with?

Can I grow a plant from a potato eye?

By jimbob2140 from Kitts Hill, OH

Answers

You need a piece of potato with that least 2 eyes, after cutting the potato in sections it really should set out and dry a bit or dust it with sulfur, you cannot grow potato plants from just a sprout you really need a piece of potato attached. After planting your potato, once it's about 3 to 4 in. tall start piling dirt up around the stem (I usually dig the hole and slowly fill in as the potato grows.)

Now the sweet potato is a totally different thing you have to wait for them to sprout, once the sprouts are at least 3 in. long carefully snap off put it in small glass with a little bit of water once roots form that's when you plant them.

Our potatoes are growing very long spindly tops and there are very few. There are only a few very small spuds per hill. Would it help to mow the tops off at some point to get more and bigger spuds? Any other suggestions would be helpful.

By Marshall from Beatty, SK, Canada

Can potatoes continue to grow once they have been hit with a freeze while leaves are present?

By Larry L.

What is the best N.P.P. ratio for a good crop of spuds?

By Brian

I would like information for planting seed potatoes, as in depth, distance apart, hilling, etc.

By Jim

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Instead of throwing away any potatoes that have stared sprouting, try putting 2-4 toothpicks in the side and put the half which is starting to sprout into a small bowl or glass of water. The shoot will get stronger and soon you will have a very interesting potato plant growing.

They are quite the conversation piece and grow so quickly you can see the change overnight. We started ours out in a shot glass, Just look at it now! The kids have even given it a name ~ "Spudly".

Enjoy! It is sure to start a few very interesting conversations by all who lay eyes on it.

By Ivy~ from Los Angeles, CA

Comment Like this photo? 3

I saw several articles on how easy it is to grow potatoes so decided to give it a try. These are in about 3 inches of soil and doing super well. I was so happy to see the first signs of them blooming!

Online tips helped me to arrive at this notion! Not sure where. Several places and videos showing how EASY it is to home-grow spuds and with very little effort!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

Potato Planter

Comment Like this photo? Yes