Growing Potatoes in Containers

Category Gardening
potato plants growing in old white ice chest
If you have limited garden space or poor soil, try growing potatoes in various types of containers. This is a guide about growing potatoes in containers.

Want to grow potatoes? Lacking the gumption to dig them up? Here's the answer: Boxes. Pick a spot in your yard where you'd like to improve the soil a bit and set out your boxes (at least the size of a 5 gallon bucket).

Fill the boxes with dirt and plant your potatoes, remember to water and weed. When it comes time, either break, tear, or dump the dirt from the boxes and pick up the 'taters!

I am looking for the easiest and simplest way to grow potatoes, like in buckets. When are they planted? Then what? I heard about, keep adding soil to the plants. I am not understanding this.

By Angie

I grow my potatoes in whatever container I can find. One year it was a large feed sack and a laundry basket. Both worked great. Though because the basket did not have tall sides on it, I had to insert cardboard pieces to increase the depth--that way I could keep adding soil as the plants grew. This way you get more potatoes, they will produce more because you have covered the growing stems and leaves with more soil. This year I'm using galvanized wash tubs, they're very big, but not tall, so again I will add my pieces of cardboard to build up the sides.

Check out these two blogs for everything you need to know about growing potatoes: 'A Garden For The House' and 'The Art of Doing Stuff'. Both of these blogs use great photos to explain the process and easy to understand. I think both have search boxes so you can find the potato growing posts on each blog.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I prefer yellow potatoes over white. They have more flavor. Most have a unique buttery taste all their own. They can't cost one cent more to produce, yet where I live, they're a dollar more per five pounds.

Since late winter, I've been saving potato pieces with eyes, a couple each time I cooked potatoes. I put them in yogurt cups filled with soil and barely covered the eyes with more soil. I let them grow under fluorescent lights til mid March. Then, I planted them in an old ice chest. The picture shows the results one month later.

There's nothing special about growing potatoes in containers. But, I did want to share this picture with my fellow ThriftyFun members for two reasons. One, at this stage, the plants are very healthy. No signs of pests or diseases. Two, this is my absolute first time to grow these babies. I feel good.

If you've never tried yellow potatoes, I suggest you do. I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Look out, local grocer. I'm gaining territory.

Photo Location
My very busy and often cluttered back lawn

Comment Like this photo? 2