Growing Potatoes in Containers

Category Gardening
If you have limited garden space or poor soil, try growing potatoes in various types of containers. This is a guide about growing potatoes in containers.

Want to grow potatoes? Lacking the gumption to dig them up? Here's the answer: Boxes. Pick a spot in your yard where you'd like to improve the soil a bit and set out your boxes (at least the size of a 5 gallon bucket).

Fill the boxes with dirt and plant your potatoes, remember to water and weed. When it comes time, either break, tear, or dump the dirt from the boxes and pick up the 'taters!

Seems I recall reading in ThriftyFun years ago that any kind of seed potato sets could be planted in a cardboard box filled with dirt, watered, and later in the season harvested by tearing the cardboard box away revealing all of the potatoes that had grown from the potato sets that you had planted in the box. Does anyone remember just how that was done?

I have the seed red potatoes, but am unsure of what to do. Being an elderly disabled women living in a mobile home park I do not have the ground to plant a garden so this box of home grown potatoes would definitely help me out in food costs. I can keep the potatoes in a burlap bag left to sit in my shed throughout the NC fall and winter months.
Thank you for all of your help!

It will be easy to do. Do as you described. Make sure you have some holes on tne bottom for drainage. Put the box on a high enough table so you wont have to bend or strain to tend to it.

It is very possible to do this. However, when you do this you'll need to put the box into something else. When cardboard gets wet it can start to fall apart.

If you'd like to plant the potatoes like this then I'd use several layers of cardboard to do this with and make sure you have plastic under the box.

Planting potatoes (and other vegetables) in containers is nothing new but knowing the right way to plant them is mandatory if you want a good crop.

• A lot of people like the idea of using sturdy containers instead of cardboard boxes but then everyone has different situations and do not always have access to a certain type.
  • I have even grown vegetables in a sack of Black Cow (very cheap "fertilizer") so almost anything can be used. Maybe even in a bag of potting soil.
  • Cardboard boxes will not hold up as long as other containers so be sure to keep that in mind. Some have suggested lacing large garbage bags in side the box with a large X or some holes in the bottom of the bag so there will be good drainage but that just means the sides would hold together but the bottom would still deteriorate.
  • Ad

• There are a lot of articles about growing potatoes on the Internet but here are a couple to get you started and maybe the instructions will help you have a good yield.

I am looking for the easiest and simplest way to grow potatoes, like in buckets. When are they planted? Then what? I heard about, keep adding soil to the plants. I am not understanding this.

By Angie

I grow my potatoes in whatever container I can find. One year it was a large feed sack and a laundry basket. Both worked great. Though because the basket did not have tall sides on it, I had to insert cardboard pieces to increase the depth--that way I could keep adding soil as the plants grew. This way you get more potatoes, they will produce more because you have covered the growing stems and leaves with more soil.

This year I'm using galvanized wash tubs, they're very big, but not tall, so again I will add my pieces of cardboard to build up the sides.

Check out these two blogs for everything you need to know about growing potatoes: 'A Garden For The House' and 'The Art of Doing Stuff'. Both of these blogs use great photos to explain the process and easy to understand. I think both have search boxes so you can find the potato growing posts on each blog.

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I prefer yellow potatoes over white. They have more flavor. Most have a unique buttery taste all their own. They can't cost one cent more to produce, yet where I live, they're a dollar more per five pounds.

Since late winter, I've been saving potato pieces with eyes, a couple each time I cooked potatoes. I put them in yogurt cups filled with soil and barely covered the eyes with more soil. I let them grow under fluorescent lights til mid March. Then, I planted them in an old ice chest. The picture shows the results one month later.

There's nothing special about growing potatoes in containers. But, I did want to share this picture with my fellow ThriftyFun members for two reasons. One, at this stage, the plants are very healthy. No signs of pests or diseases. Two, this is my absolute first time to grow these babies. I feel good.

If you've never tried yellow potatoes, I suggest you do. I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Look out, local grocer. I'm gaining territory.

Photo Location
My very busy and often cluttered back lawn

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2