StorageFood and Recipes

Cheap Shower Caps for Food Covers

This may sound like a silly tip, but this proved to be very handy when we were camping with friends once, and I found that it works equally well at home.

There are times when you need to cover a dish with food in it and just do not have the proper size lid, or a way to hold a cover on it easily. Here is a solution. Go to a dollar or similar type store, and find a package of thin plastic hair caps, used when dying hair. You will find that these will stretch over a large area when necessary, or if you need to use toothpicks to keep them up off of a frosted cake, they are light enough to do that without pressing down. They will fit over so many odd shaped things, even things with handles, and slip down over the handle, closing the area against the body of the container.

We now go to a supply store for beauty shops, which we are told are quite common in any area, and get larger packs of them, and of course they are reusable, contrary to the plastic you rip off the roll and try to make stay on something. Just swish them around in sudsy water, same with rinse water, and lay over a hanging towel or use a clothespin to hang up to dry.

by Loretta from Theodore, AL

Anonymous

This is an excellent tip! Thank you!

Thanks for sharing a great tip. Gonna get some tomorrow ~!

Yes, they work so great, a elderly friend of mine told me about it a couple of years ago, and she told me to get them at a dollar store, they do save money in the long haul.

I have been buying them at a local Dollar Store. "Everything's a Dollar" They are they are made for covering bowl of food, etc. There are about 30 in a box and 3 different sizes (for $1). They are really great and some of them will fit over a plate of food, which is nice if you want to fix a plate and put it in the fridge. Also, I put them in the washer with my dish towels, etc. and also the dryer and they come out fine so you can reuse them.

I've been using them for many years. Saves money, good luck.