Retirement Planning Tips
Planning for retirement can be sticky. We have not been in a position to save due to high medical costs. But there are a few things you can do.
- Pay off your home well before retirement, even if it means settling for something smaller than you had planned. Start young. Twenty is not too soon.
- Learn to garden and can. Other than hiring someone to till up your garden each spring, most of the associated tasks are possible for most people. It is a thrill to see all that food lined up in jars, and also in the freezer!
- Keep debt to the absolute minimum. Hold down expenses so you can always pay them off monthly. This includes utilities, credit cards, and car repair bills.
- If you qualify for medical assistance don't be shy about it. You paid into it with your taxes. If you need it, apply and fight for it.
- Keep house, car, etc. in good condition.
- Save money as you are able. It is unnecessary to spend the national average of almost $900 for Christmas, for example. In some cases a card and a current photo of you will be more welcome than a new stereo.
Hope this helps someone.
By Coreen from Rupert, ID
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
I agree too. Maybe you can't put $100.00/wk aside for retirement, but there are a million small things a person can do. The trick is to do them steadily without fail for a number of years, and to not become discouraged.
The small things will help build your resolve to move on to other things that will also help save money, and the small things add up. Repurposing is another thing that will help save money. I'm surprised by the things that I've found I can do without and are no longer important to me; I'm shocked by what friends spend on things they deem necessary even though they don't have the money to pay for them. I've always looked at being frugal as being smart. Having the money to spend when needed and having some in the bank too.
Coreen, you always have good, practical advice. I hope it reaches someone who really needs it.
Add your voice to the conversation.