Making a Rug from Plastic Bags

There are a few different ways to make a plarn hooked or braided rug reusing hundreds of plastic bags. This is a guide about making a rug from plastic bags.

March 20, 2007 Flag

We get plastic bags from all of our stores when we shop so I decided to put them to use. I found my hook rug canvas and cut my bags in 4 inch by 1 inch strips to make a plastic bag rug.

Multicolored hooked rug made with shopping bags.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2010 Flag

This is a rug we use for muddy shoes. It is easily rinsed clean and drip dried.

Crocheted Plarn Rug

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2005 Flag

This rug is pretty is easy, really cool and costs next to nothing to make.

Directions:

1. The cardboard will be used to make a loom. The rug will end being about three inches smaller than the piece of cardboard you use. Cut notches along the top and bottom of the cardboard. To create the notches draw a line 1 1/2 inches below the top and bottom edge. Make a mark every 1 1/2 inches along each of the lines you just drew. Cut a notch as wide as your thumb at every mark.

2. Cut large garbage bags in long strips about six inches wide. Tie all the strips together into a long piece. I ended up using three garbage bags. You can also use large, sturdy ribbon.

3. Wrap the garbage bag (or ribbon) around the front and back of the cardboard using the notches you cut into the cardboard to hold the bag in place. Then tie the ends together on the back diagonally. Your loom is now ready for weaving.

4. Cut the handles and down the side of shopping bags to flatten them out. The bigger the rug you make the more shopping bags you will need so make sure you have a lot handy in each color that you want to use on your rug. Different stores may have different colored shopping bags. For example, the blue bags in my rug are from Wal-Mart.

5. To get started, tie 3 bags together.

6. To start weaving, tie one end of the shopping bags to the top corner of the loom (don't tie it to the cardboard, tie it to the garbage bag or ribbon), then weave the rest of the shopping bag over and under the garbage bags (or ribbon) strips. Weave each row in an opposite pattern as the previous row. Attach more shopping bags as you go.

7. When you have finished weaving and have filled up the loom, tie of the end in the corner. Your rug should look something like the picture below.

8. To remove the rug from the loom, cut the garbage bag (or ribbon) across the top edge of the loom. It is best to cut them two at a time, then tie them together before cutting anymore.

When you are finished, your rug should look something like this!

You can reuse the loom for your next rug.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 22 Comments

June 25, 2008 Flag

There were plenty of reusable shirt bags behind a clothier here and a handy video to make short work of making the plarn necessary to create handmade items.

Recycled Bag Rug

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 7, 2011 Flag

I have several free patterns for crocheting rugs using plastic bags or plarn at my blog. I have attached one oval rug pattern link.

Multicolored crocheted oval rug.

Link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2010/03/28/plastic-trash-rug/

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2012 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2011 Flag

With regards to the plastic bag hooked rug craft project (Plastic Bag Hooked Rug); what do you put on the back of the rug so it doesn't slip?

By Mary Beth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy backing to hold rugs in place on the floor. Just about anywhere I imagine that sells pre-made rugs or a fabric/craft store.

I'm looking for recycled type ideas, but will welcome any other ideas too.

April 23, 2012 Flag

How do I make a rug from plastic grocery bags?

By debit

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try youtube and type in crochet plastic bag rug, you need to use plarn which plastic bag yarn roll. you can also see that on youtube.

http://www.yout  +plastic+bag+rug

August 27, 2011 Flag

I would like to make a rug using plastic grocery bags. I need a crochet pattern. Thank you.

By Terri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This site has patterns for all sorts of things recycled:

http://www.myre  astic-trash-rug/

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherFebruary 26, 2014
A bunch of plastic bags to be made into plarn.
Crocheting a Rug Using Plarn
Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Multicolored plastic bags on a white background.
Craft Use for Grocery Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 8:42:38 AM on 10.0.1.44 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.