Making a Rug from Plastic Bags

There are a few different ways to make a plarn hooked or braided rug reusing hundreds of plastic bags. This is a guide about making a rug from plastic bags.

March 20, 2007 Flag

Multicolored hooked rug made with shopping bags.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We get plastic bags from all of our stores when we shop so I decided to put them to use. I found my hook rug canvas and cut my bags in 4 inch by 1 inch strips to make a plastic bag rug.

October 12, 2010 Flag

Crocheted Plarn Rug

This is a rug we use for muddy shoes. It is easily rinsed clean and drip dried.

June 25, 2008 Flag

There were plenty of reusable shirt bags behind a clothier here and a handy video to make short work of making the plarn necessary to create handmade items.

The pink areas are made from 30 bags for a dollar plastic kitchen bags providing much needed color for interest! The fringe took nearly all of 3 whole pink bags.

My problem is that I am not in a zone that I can sell retail from which I had hoped. So, on Sundays across from me at a park, it is busier than any other day. Taking advantage of that, I backed my truck up to near the end of my driveway, leaving enough room for 1 other vehicle to get off the street.

I have an over-the-door towel rack that I don't use for towels that fit nicely over the top of my tailgate and I fastened my crocheted rug to it with with my price tag clearly visible! No one bought my rug, but I know I can at least TRY, which is 1/2 the success!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's cute, but I would be concerned it would be slick on the floor. Apart from that, if you are marketing it as a green product, then don't buy bags for it, using new bags isn't green.

March 30, 2005 Flag

plastic bag rug finished

This rug is pretty, is easy, really cool and costs next to nothing to make.

September 7, 2011 Flag

Multicolored crocheted oval rug.

I have several free patterns for crocheting rugs using plastic bags or plarn at my blog. I have attached one oval rug pattern link.

Link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2010/03/28/plastic-trash-rug/

February 4, 2012 Flag

Round Plarn Rug

January 29, 2017 Flag

Could you use the non skid rubber mats instead of latch hook canvas for this project? Would it help keep the mat in place better?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it would work out very well. Why don't you try to cut a small piece and complete that? That way you won't waste time if it doesn't work out the way you want.

i have used that rubber shelf liner and works great but i also have seen things o in the craft store that said for backing of rungs etc..

March 15, 2011 Flag

With regards to the plastic bag hooked rug craft project (Plastic Bag Hooked Rug); what do you put on the back of the rug so it doesn't slip?

By Mary Beth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy backing to hold rugs in place on the floor. Just about anywhere I imagine that sells pre-made rugs or a fabric/craft store.

I'm looking for recycled type ideas, but will welcome any other ideas too.

April 23, 2012 Flag

How do I make a rug from plastic grocery bags?

By debit

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try youtube and type in crochet plastic bag rug, you need to use plarn which plastic bag yarn roll. you can also see that on youtube.

http://www.yout  +plastic+bag+rug

August 27, 2011 Flag

I would like to make a rug using plastic grocery bags. I need a crochet pattern. Thank you.

By Terri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This site has patterns for all sorts of things recycled:

http://www.myre  astic-trash-rug/

Multicolored plastic bags on a white background.
Craft Use for Grocery Bags
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherFebruary 26, 2014
A bunch of plastic bags to be made into plarn.
Crocheting a Rug Using Plarn
Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Crocheted Green Plarn Bag
Making a Plarn Bag
plarn coin purse
Making Crafts With Plarn
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 5:41:48 PM on 10.0.1.28 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.