Keeping Warm When the Thermostat is Down

Snuggling under electric heated throws and electric blankets lets you turn down the thermostat and saves on the high cost of heating your home.

By Sabrita from Carriere, Mississippi

I AGREE. AND WE ALSO USE AN OIL HEATER AND TURN DOWN OUR THERMOSTAT

fleece blankets are also nice to snuggle under during the winter.

Zig

Because our large windows face east and west, we turn down our heat during the day and let the sun warm up the house (averages 40-50 degreesoutside, even on rainy days) but we keep the house at 65 during the day, then turn the thermostat up to 70 when the LAST person goes to bed, then the first one in am turns it back (no, we don't have the automatic anymore, we did before!) That means the time that the heat is running is shorter, about 7 hours, rather than 12-18 hours a day. We wear layers during the day, but don't feel too cool. We did have a spell were the evenings actually froze (coming from a common temp of 5 below, it was funny watching the news about the "Arctic Blast" at 29 degrees)

I, too, dress in layers and I have an electric blanket on the loveseat where I sit to craft or do needlework. There's a space heater in my sewing room and one in my bathroom. I only use them when necessary. I have an electric blanket on my bed, as well. I keep my thermostat on 65 during the day and turn it back to 60 when I go to bed.

Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingFebruary 14, 2006
Adjust a home's thermostat.
Frugal Tips for Keeping Warm in the Winter
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
party food
Keeping Food Warm at Parties
A stack of soft fluffy down pillows.
Cleaning A Down Pillow
🎉
🎄