Frugal Tips for Keeping Warm in the Winter

Keeping warm in the winter can be tough if your heating costs are through the roof! If you live in a place where you have to pay for heating but can't afford the costs, here are a few things you can do!

1. Instead of turning on the heat in the entire house, place a space heater in the area where you'll be hanging out.
  2. Take a hot bath or shower, this keeps me warm for a few hours!
  3. Put on thick socks and put something on your head if you can. Get under blankets!
  4. Get those window kits. These are kits that contain plastic type sheets which you can easily cover your windows with. If you have old windows, these are great because it prevents drafts. Those kits also come with tape that helps seal doors as well. Makes a huge difference!
  5. Make hot ginger tea using fresh ginger (1 Tbsp. per 4 cups). Sweeten with honey or agave nectar. Ginger is great for circulation!
Source: The Frugal Vegan Website: http://goddessfreya.googlepages.com

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

9 More Solutions

Like a lot of people, I use a small electric heater in the bathroom during the winter. And for convenience, I keep my body lotion on the side of the tub. I have found that when I get out of the shower, the lotion is warmed, goes on so smoothly, and feels so good!

I have several things I do to keep myself and my pets warm in the winter without getting heating bills through the roof!

I live in a senior community and they pay the utilities. I am grateful for it and try to be frugal with the bill. I also like to keep my doors open for light. This can be a problem when the screen doors are older and don't close all the way.

A draft stopper made from recycled towel.

I was brought up to think that sleeping in your blankets was dirty, because of course blankets were heavy and couldn't be washed as easily as sheets. However, modern lightweight fleece blankets are an entirely different proposition.

Dump about a gallon of Styrofoam worms into an old pillow case. Lay flat and fold in half and pin with three or four pins or use a paper stapler. Smooth out the worms so the whole works lays flat. When sitting on this, even in an ice cold car, your bum will quickly warm up as it reflects the heat.

If you have hardwood or linoleum floors I suggest keeping some throw rugs down to help keep warmer in the winter.

In older homes there is often less insulation than in more recently constructed ones. Windows and doors can be points of entry for cold air, lowing the inside temperature. Try this frugal tip using a closet rod for hanging a blanket to keep the cold out.

Closet Rod for Hanging Blanket In Doorway - wooden rod in holder

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about using a hair dryer to heat up cold body parts. If you are prone to cold hands or feet, a blowdryer is perfect for warming them up quickly. It also means you don't need to turn up the heat for the whole house.

Woman hand reaching for a hairdryer

Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingOctober 14, 2012
🎄
😷
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Frugal-Tips-for-Keeping-Warm-in-the-Winter.html