Frugal Tips for Keeping Warm in the Winter

Category Heating
When the cold weather comes there are ways to keep yourself warmer without raising the thermostat. This guide contains frugal tips for keeping warm in the winter.

Keeping warm in the winter can be tough if your heating costs are through the roof! If you live in a place where you have to pay for heating but can't afford the costs, here are a few things you can do!

1. Instead of turning on the heat in the entire house, place a space heater in the area where you'll be hanging out.
  2. Take a hot bath or shower, this keeps me warm for a few hours!
  3. Put on thick socks and put something on your head if you can. Get under blankets!
  4. Get those window kits. These are kits that contain plastic type sheets which you can easily cover your windows with. If you have old windows, these are great because it prevents drafts. Those kits also come with tape that helps seal doors as well. Makes a huge difference!
  5. Make hot ginger tea using fresh ginger (1 Tbsp. per 4 cups). Sweeten with honey or agave nectar. Ginger is great for circulation!
Source: The Frugal Vegan Website: http://goddessfreya.googlepages.com

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Like a lot of people, I use a small electric heater in the bathroom during the winter. And for convenience, I keep my body lotion on the side of the tub. I have found that when I get out of the shower, the lotion is warmed, goes on so smoothly, and feels so good! Just thought I would share this for all of you who live in a colder area.

By Barbara Huggins from IL

I have several things I do to keep myself and my pets warm in the winter without getting heating bills through the roof!

1. Since my home has a fairly large living area and it is wide open, I use a kerosene heater to heat just the space that we spend the most time in (living room). I make sure the ceiling fans are on low and blowing down to circulate the air. Any room that is not being occupied gets closed off.

2. I hang a sheer curtain between the living room and the kitchen because the kitchen gets heated up when I cook. Other than cooking, I'm only in there for maybe a minute or two at a time and can stand the cold that long. I put lots of fishing weights in the bottom hem of the curtain to keep it from billowing.

3. For my dogs, I keep an electric blanket spread out on the couch, plugged in and turned to low. I spread a blanket on top of the electric blanket and then give them an afghan to snuggle up under. I keep a smaller one on my recliner for myself with an afghan.

4. For night time for my dogs, I put a small electric blanket on the floor under their bed cushion, turned on low. Then I give them 2 blankets to snuggle up under. I also have my own electric blanket on my bed too.

5. I don't like taping up my windows because here in the south, even in winter, we do get a few (if far between) nice days when I can open the house up for a few hours. So I make sure my windows and doors are all insulated as best as I can. But I take down all my heavy drapes and just use sheers and blinds on the windows. That way the sun can come in and help to warm the house up too.

6. When I do cook, when the cooking is done, I leave the oven door open so the heat permeates into the room. I also don't turn the burners off on the stove till the last minute, then allow the heat from them to permeate as they cool.

7. In winter, I lay out as many throw rugs as I can find over as much of the hard floors as possible.

8. While I'm in the tub or shower, I throw my pajamas or clothes (depending if I'm getting up or going to bed) into the dryer to tumble while I'm getting clean. Then I hurry up and put them on while they are still warm from the dryer. Oh! How nice that feels!

Source: Years of trying to stay warm!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I was brought up to think that sleeping in your blankets was dirty, because of course blankets were heavy and couldn't be washed as easily as sheets. However, modern lightweight fleece blankets are an entirely different proposition.

Dump about a gallon of Styrofoam worms into an old pillow case. Lay flat and fold in half and pin with three or four pins or use a paper stapler. Smooth out the worms so the whole works lays flat.

When sitting on this, even in an ice cold car, your bum will quickly warm up as it reflects the heat.

If you have hardwood or linoleum floors I suggest keeping some throw rugs down to help keep warmer in the winter.

This is a guide about using a hair dryer to heat up cold body parts. If you are prone to cold hands or feet, a blowdryer is perfect for warming them up quickly. It also means you don't need to turn up the heat for the whole house.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes