Closet Rod for Hanging a Blanket to Keep the Cold Out

In older homes there is often less insulation than in more recently constructed ones. Windows and doors can be points of entry for cold air, lowing the inside temperature. Try this frugal tip using a closet rod for hanging a blanket to keep the cold out.

We have had some unusually cold weather for our area. Temperatures were below freezing and in the teens and single digits at night for over a week. With us trying to conserve the heat, the small add-on addition to the northwest side of our house got down below 40 degrees which made the bedroom cold with the hollow door in-between the two rooms.

I put my thinking cap on and came up with the idea of putting a closet rod on the door frame to hang a quilt over the door. The plastic rod holders are white and when the weather gets warmer, I can take the rod down and the holders will not be that noticeable.

I took a queen size quilt and folded it in half. For a trial, I turned the top over and pinned it with safety pins and hung it on the rod. I could tell a difference right away. It was like putting a blanket on the bed.

I might get a needle and thread and do a better job of hemming, but the safety pins are working just fine and since this is temporary it just might stay like that until spring. Also, I may move the rod up closer to the top of the door. Heat rises and cold air settles so I really don't think it will make that much difference.

I enjoy cold weather, but not that cold. I might have to invest in some long johns if we have another cold spell like that.

Total Time: 45 minutes

• large blanket or quilt
  • closet rod holders
  • closet rod cut to fit
  • large safety pins

1. Measure where you want to place the rod holders.
  2. Use drill to drill a small hole to start a screw.
  3. Attach the holders to the door frame.
  4. Cut the rod to fit the holders.
  5. Hem (or pin) the top of the blanket to run the rod through.
  6. Place blanket on rod and hang on the rod holders.

I removed the blanket and basted the hem. This gives it a little trim and makes it look a little better.

This is just temporary and I'm going to be on the look out for a thick curtain to hang here when needed.

This really does help. Here is another tip that might work.

www.google.com/search?q=bubble+wrap+window+insulation...

Thanks Sandi. To tell the truth, I am really enjoying the quilt hanging in the doorway. When it's not so cold and I am in and out of that room, I can leave the door open and the quilt is still hanging and doing it's job of keeping the cold out of the bedroom.

For the past week and half we have had warmer weather and I took the quilt and rod down and rolled it up together and put it out of sight. The holders on the door frame are hardly noticeable.

Winter is not over yet but if it turns cold I'm ready and can put that quilt back up in a jiffy.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Energy EfficiencyFebruary 20, 2019
🎂
📓
🌻