Closet Rod for Hanging a Blanket to Keep the Cold Out

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 418 Posts

Closet Rod for Hanging Blanket In Doorway - quilt hanging in placeWe have had some unusually cold weather for our area. Temperatures were below freezing and in the teens and single digits at night for over a week. With us trying to conserve the heat, the small add-on addition to the northwest side of our house got down below 40 degrees which made the bedroom cold with the hollow door in-between the two rooms.

I put my thinking cap on and came up with the idea of putting a closet rod on the door frame to hang a quilt over the door. The plastic rod holders are white and when the weather gets warmer, I can take the rod down and the holders will not be that noticeable.

I took a queen size quilt and folded it in half. For a trial, I turned the top over and pinned it with safety pins and hung it on the rod. I could tell a difference right away. It was like putting a blanket on the bed.

I might get a needle and thread and do a better job of hemming, but the safety pins are working just fine and since this is temporary it just might stay like that until spring. Also, I may move the rod up closer to the top of the door. Heat rises and cold air settles so I really don't think it will make that much difference.

I enjoy cold weather, but not that cold. I might have to invest in some long johns if we have another cold spell like that.

Total Time: 45 minutes

• large blanket or quilt
  • closet rod holders
  • closet rod cut to fit
  • large safety pins

1. Measure where you want to place the rod holders.
  2. Use drill to drill a small hole to start a screw.
  3. Attach the holders to the door frame.
  4. Closet Rod for Hanging Blanket In Doorway - closet rod hanger

5. Cut the rod to fit the holders.
  6. Closet Rod for Hanging Blanket In Doorway - wooden rod in holder

7. Hem (or pin) the top of the blanket to run the rod through.
  8. Closet Rod for Hanging Blanket In Doorway - quilt pinned over rod

9. Place blanket on rod and hang on the rod holders.
  10. Advertisement

Home and Garden Home Improvement Energy EfficiencyFebruary 20, 2019
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Closet-Rod-for-Hanging-a-Blanket-to-Keep-the-Cold-Out.html