WaterConservation

Water Plants With Leftover Ice

When watering indoor plants, try using ice cubes instead of water. They melt slowly, letting the soil absorb it better. This may not work for all plants, test first.

By Hope from Wilmington, NC

I wouldn't use ice to water a plant. I feel room temperature water is better to avoid shocking the plant's root system.

Plants prefer warmish water. Cold stunts their growth, do not use icey water on your plants this includes well water, let it warm up first.

I had to laugh when I saw that this was "Tip of the Day", as I've been doing this for years and thought everyone did! It's a wonderful "green" way to conserve water and give your plants a sip. I just make sure to surround the plant close to the stem to avoid shock. Good for you!

Have extra ice cubes left in your glass? Use them to water your household plants.

By Gary from NJ

Answers:

Water Plants With Leftover Ice

Hi Gary, I was just going to let you know I do this but you have to be careful. If the drink you were drinking had sugar you can end up with fungus on your plants like I did cuz I used to drink a lot of refrigerated tea and have a lot of leftover ice I didn't want to waste. My plants started to stink to from the fungus I guess. Now I drink nothing but mineral water with ice made from mineral water so I don't get any more fungus among us ;o) (05/29/2008)

By EJRIOS2006

Water Plants With Leftover Ice

I keep a large container near the sink for leftover ice (diet drinks so no sugar issues), "cleanish" rinse water, draining water from unsalted foods, etc. This goes into the plants on the nearby deck.

When I had fish, I'd put their water in that container, too, which the plants seemed to really like!!

When I had a basement and used a de-humidifier, we'd use that water to water our plants during dry spells, too.

(05/29/2008)

By JudyBoody

Water Plants With Leftover Ice

Don't touch the plants and don't give them too much water, just give them a few drops of water everyday! This is enough for them and also they can be healthy and fresh. Love the plants, be green everywhere, and everyday. Bye (10/18/2008)

By Navroop K