Using Shoe Polish On Leather Furniture

I have beautiful leather living room furniture in a dark reddish brown color. It was expensive and (I thought) good quality. I'm very careful with it and use leather cleaning products regularly. My husband's recliner has patches where the leather is "crinkling" as opposed to cracking.

It's not a deep crack but a lighter area is showing. I'm wondering if I can apply shoe polish (creme or paste) and buff like I would a pair of leather shoes to cover this area. Also, I will not be offended if somebody tells me I paid too much for low quality furniture. If it all does this I would like to know also. This furniture is only 2 years old.

Judi from Elgin, Oregon

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can use shoe polish, make sure that it is buffed to the point that it does not come off. The better option is to Re-dye the leather with a 'leather re-dye kit' which can be found at

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/recolorkits.htm

Or you can contact Fiebing (they carry Saddlery & Kelly's Shoe Care Products) at 1-800-558-1033 and order a shoe dye in the color you need - if you opt to use a shoe dye; you'll want to lightly dab the area to be dyed - let dry - condition with leather conditioner (I use Golden mink oil) then press & rub clean paper towels or old rags on the dyed area until they no longer show any dye residue.

I hope that helps

Please do not use shoe polish on your leather furniture as this will cause problems and may make the problem impossible to fix with professional products.

It sounds as though you have a two tone leather and the area where body oils have been in contact has removed the top colour.

Two tone leathers are not easy to fix with any DIY products and there may be an adhesion problem due to body oils so I would recommend getting someone professional to look at it for you, this will be much cheaper in the long run.

http://www.LTTsolutions.net

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureMarch 26, 2008
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 8:30:06 AM on 10.0.0.56 in 303 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.