Removing Duct Tape From Carpet

Category Carpet
If you have used this popular tape to attach something such as a power cord, to your carpet, you may now be lamenting that decision. Duct tape and its residue can be difficult to remove from carpet. This is a guide about removing duct tape from carpet.

When I needed to place phone cord across my living room floor, I duct taped it down to prevent tripping over the wire. My problem now is removing the duck tape and the residue without damaging the carpet. Any tips on the removal would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Jen

Best Answer

Confirmation of a great tip. I successfully used De-Solv-it to remove about 35 short strips of black cloth duct tape from industrial, gray/black patterned carpet tiles that were being used for a chair layout in an auditorium.

It took about 90 minutes. All up I used about 130 ml of solvent from a 300 ml spray bottle.

I switched to using Handy Ultra paper towels, which are washable, stronger and didn't disintegrate as ordinary paper towels were doing.

Mostly I picked a corner and peeled slowly, then sprayed the residual adhesive and scrubbed the area with a paper towel after a few seconds. A second spray and wipe was often needed to clean the residual adhesive all off the carpet.

When I couldn't peel initially I found that the solvent will penetrate through the tape and later dissolve the glue to a slippery slime.

Try Lestoil. It removes glue residue and stains from everything else - why not carpet too!? :-)

If Lestoil doesn't work (thanks for that bit of info, by the way, chima, I didn't know about that), try lighter fluid or GooGone. Lighter fluid is cheaper, but GooGone smells much better (I use orange scented). I've yet to find a sticky residue GooGone couldn't handle.

Terry from ChilliOH

The lighter fluid actually worked pretty well... Less than two minutes with some Jon-e fluid (same thing as lighter fluid) and a piece of paper towel took some long-time, well-pressed-in duct tape residue right out.

I work as a Housekeeping Supervisor for a University. Duct tape a staple in college dorms. We use a product called De-Solv-it to remove the residue. It is the only thing I have found that really works! De-Solv-it can be purchased at Wal Mart in with the furniture polish. It is non toxic and can be used on most surfaces. Excellent product! Give it a try and I'm sure you will be impressed. Good Luck

How do you get duct tape residue off of carpet?

Duct tape was put on carpet to hold another rug flat. It left residue. How can I clean it off?

By Joan S

Fingernail polish remover or paint thinner, it will smell. Then spot wash with some Dawn dish soap to remove residue and smell. This method works good on stickers & gum to.

How do I remove duct tape residue from carpet

We have duck tape stuck on berber carpet. We cannot get it up.

By Eileen W

How do I remove tape from carpet?

By Linda D.