Sharpen Scissors with Steel Wool

I know I have about 3 dozen scissors running around here. To keep them sharp, I buy a box of 00 steel wool from my local hardware store and cut through it with the scissors. This allows your scissors to sharpen themselves, and it also beats paying $15.00 to have them sharpened.

By Gem from VA

I use this trick too, only I cut the SOS/Brillo pads in half - I sharpen the scissors and lengthen the life of the pads! Why use a whole pad, when you only need a little bit and that way, too, the whole thing won't rust and go to waste!

Pretty sharp, Gem, pun intended! lol! Mom of Towers has a great point, too. Sharpen your scissors and double your supply of steel-wool pads in one go!

I'm an elementary art teacher and I wonder if this would work on the hundred or so school scissors that I have?

I have piece of a glass rod that works wonders sharpens them like a new razor blade

Man's hands sharpening scissors on grinding wheel.
Sharpening Scissors
Home and Garden Repair ToolsJuly 1, 2011
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
Close up of Steel Wool
Saving Money On Steel Wool