Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

My dog can jump over my 4ft. chain link fence. What can I do to keep her contained?

By Yarbokr from Nashville, TN

Best Answer

Raise the fence 2 feet. It isn't that hard or expensive to do. The dog also shouldn't be left outside alone so long they're interested in running away. It's a poor life to be that lonely.

If you exercised the dog for 1-2 hours a day by jogging and walking fast with them; they'd happily be too tired to want to jump and run away. The dog would also get enough mental stimulation from all the sights, sounds and smells of a walk they'd be even less interested in running.

Best Answer

I watch a show called the Dog Whisper and one family had the same problem and he used a plastic mat by the fence that gave off a small charge when he stepped on it, just enough to startle them. The mat was about 20-30 feet long and maybe a foot wide. He did say that someone other than you lay the mat down, so there is none of your scent on it.

Good Luck

Best Answer

Make a small extension of the fence that slants toward the yard and that will keep the dog from climbing or jumping over.

Extend the fence.

My dog can be put in the back yard for a few minutes and she goes directly to the area of the fence that she can climb over. I have since fixed the fence, but it does not stop her from trying. No matter how much excercise she gets, she still wants to be out on her own.

Karyn

RE: Keeping Dogs from Jumping Fence

Raise the fence 2 feet. It isn't that hard or expensive to do. The dog also shouldn't be left outside alone so long they're interested in running away. It's a porr life to be that lonely.

Try tying lots of colored balloons with SHORT string to the fence. It might work. Fill them pretty full so t hey will pop when the dog gets in contact with them. Hope this helps. So many dogs are escape artists.

I would probably consider investing in a humane e-collar to curb the jumping from leerburg.com. That if none of these other things worked. Also at leerburg.com I would look at the webpage and put dog jumps fence into the searchbar.

Dog Jumping
Keeping Dogs from Jumping Your Fence
Pets AdviceApril 8, 2009
Privacy Fence
Building a Privacy Fence
Paw prints painted on a fence.
Decorating Your Fence
Wireless Pet Fence
Using a Wireless Pet Fence
Building a Fence, Six Foot Tall Cedar Fence with Blue Sky in the Background
Building a Fence
🎉
🎄