AdvicePest Control

Something is Leaving a Trail of Dog Food Through the House

I have been finding a trail of dried corn (kept outside airtight), dog food (inside airtight), so I know it is coming from dog's bowl, and dead bugs (June) (kept outside jk). It starts under my dryer, then on to the washer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, into the living room under the bookshelf, under TV stand, under second bookshelf across the room, under closet door and into into second closet beside the first one and stops!

I hear banging, rattling, clanking, shuffling, etc. from time to time, but never find/see "it" or droppings. I have put glue traps everywhere, snap traps, in 3 varieties, also coated everything in sulfur, pyrethrin, diatomaceous earth, and have used foggers. You name it I have tried it. Nothing is working. I never see what it is, but when close you will see things move a bit, but that is it. Please help. Please don't say ants, there is no survival rate.

By mesha from Deep South, TX

Rats!

I'll bet you have a ground squirrel. If so, there is a hole it hides in and you must find the hole. It may have more than one.

We had mice a few years ago and were really struggling to figure out how they were getting in the house. We ended up buying this flourescent powder that you sprinkle on floors, surfaces, etc and whatever walks over it will leave a trail behind. We had tiny little mouseprints everywhere the next morning! A blacklight will make the trail even clearer. You might check out pest control suppliers online and see if someone sells it.

It could be a raccoon (or raccoons). I had that happen once. They (babies) came in through the dryer vent and got dog food out of the bowls at night. I ended up having to set live traps to get them.

Um, ghosts? I'm not kidding.

Try putting some of the dried corn in a bucket of water. If it's a ground squirrel (chipmunk), it may climb into the bucket to try and get the corn. It will drown. I hate this, but whatever it is has no right to be in your home.

I had the same thing and it turned out to be a flying squirrel. Unfortunately my dogs killed it. It did no harm ever. It needed a little food and water was all. Please, no cruel glue traps. Have you seen the suffering before they die? Can you imagine the smothering feeling? All the while the small animal is thinking of family. Even small rodents have good parenting skills and devotion. Humane traps are available. Trap and relocate. It's a great feeling when you prove compassion.

Something similar happened to me once and the culprit turned out to be a chipmunk who had moved in without my knowledge. I discovered his cache of food when I took a couple of books from the shelf and dry cat food poured out from behind the books!

The whole shelf was loaded with it, so he must have been living there for some time. He was very tidy, never left a visible trace, but got too comfortable in his adopted home and let me find him sitting in the middle of the floor one day, from where I was able to chase him out the door! It has never happened again.

Whatever it is please post when you find out.

I agree, when you find out what it is please re-post. My daughter had squirrels under her house one winter. Her cat decided to have kittens under there and that's when she found a huge cache of dog food. It is probably a squirrel who has found a whole to sneak into the house during the night.

We had a pet hamster that knew how to open her turret to do this very thing. She had a pile of cat food under the bed in an extra bedroom more than once. An acquaintence had the same thing happen to them. It turned out that when a neighbor moved, they lost their pet gerbils, which had babies. Some gerbils found a way into their house and attacked their pet's food. It can be frustrating. Good luck.

Perhaps its "borrowers" little people who take things from the house and live under the floorboards and in the walls.