Appalachian Trail Frugal Travel Guide

Category US States
The Appalachian National Scenic Trail runs from Georgia in the southern United States to Maine in the north. This popular trail offers many hiking options from day trips on various portions to a full length adventure for those up for the 2174 mile hike. This page has tips, photos, and guides for hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

A stream runs next to my house; it travels from the Appalachian Trail down the mountain to the lake in our community. After all the rain we experienced this week, the water was flowing very fiercely.

By Toni

After the Rain, Appalachian Trail

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 19

Photo Description
I live near the Appalachian Trail and this is a picture from the summer of a sunset. I find it very inspiring being able to go look at places like this and get exercise at the same time.

The Appalachian Trail goes from North Georgia all the way to Katadhin, Maine! Believe it or not, hundreds, if not thousands, of people a year, from May through August, travel either northbound or southbound and actually walk all the way from Georgia to Maine or vice versa. It requires a lot of preparation and mental grit, and it takes 4 months at the least, but it changes lives.

Anyway, I have never walked it much more than an hour or so and I do wonder if I will ever have the opportunity to do the whole thing?

Photo Location
Appalachian Trail, Hot Springs, NC

More on the Appalachian Trail here:

Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

This picture was taken at the Dismal Falls on the Appalachian Trail in November of 2010, after a heavy snow fall. The Falls were frozen over, it appeared, in action. The areas of running water were forced to make their way around the heavy ice caps.

It was an amazing sight to see, as are many things along the Appalachian Trails.

Source: This picture was taken by Donna Gelico - November 2010 while walking an area of the Appalachian Trail.

By donnag photos from Saltville, VA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5