Removing Gum from Leather Furniture

I have a very stubborn, old chewing gum stain on a leather sofa. I've tried olive oil, peanut butter and WD-40. Nothing worked. Are there any other options?

Wlodek from Sydney

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Try using "lighter fluid" that is used in the Zippo style cigarette lighters. I use it to remove price stickers, labels and it always works.

Hope this works for you.

Good Luck

I am a gum addict. Once I had slept with it in my mouth, and in the morning it was stuck to my beige leather sofa. I tested a small hidden section so I'd know if peanut butter would leave a grease stain. It didn't. Then I alternated rubbing ice and peanut butter on the gum. I'd rub it with ice then peanut butter and lightly scrub at it with the abrasive side of a sponge. It took about ten minutes, but sure enough the gum is gone without any stains :)

Thank you! Very expensive couch (six grand) with GREEN Trident sugar free gum on the cushion. (Not a natural substance--harder to remove, than sugar gum.) It is dark brown/walnut color and a very fine quality leather. OF COURSE the warranty does not cover gum. So, I read all of your brilliant insight and thought--why not? SESAME OIL, TWO ICE CUBES and GENTLE RUBBING. Be patient. 10 minutes later GONE! Thank you ever so much, truly. Your consistent on-message remarks were true to the result.

Thank You so much for this helpful guidance. Grandson smeared a mouthful of tropical fruit chewing gum all over my VERY EXPENSIVE brown leather chair. Found it at about midnight last night, freaked, googled how to clean gum on leather, found this site, and voila!!! success in a few moments this afternoon. Used olive oil because had no natural peanut butter/oil readily available.

Did testing on a hidden spot to determine if there would be a problem with staining or discoloration and saw none. Rubbed small amount of oil on a soft paper towel in gentle circular motion, wiped off excess, checked for progress and leather condition, rubbed again same way, and soon every smeary, gummy spot was removed and the chair looks like new. So, olive oil worked beautifully for me!

Chair smells fine - only a very faint scent of the olive oil that is actually pleasant. There is no oily or gummy residue from the oil. Did not need to use ice. Figure the gum landed there about two days ago when he was here visiting. This technique was magic and I am so grateful I found this site. Thanks a million!

I am a Realtor that takes clients on home shopping experiences. I was not pleased when I found gum on my leather backseat. I came to this site and found out the Olive Oil trick, used it and it worked in less than 60 seconds. This is an awesome site I will be back to use it more often. I now have a gumless backseat that my clients can use.

The hot water trick worked for me. Sugarless gum rubbed into a leather car seat with tiny little holes in the design. I placed a wash cloth on the gum, poured boiling water over the washcloth, and used a second washcloth to gently rub. Because of the little holes it took more than one pass, but it finally worked. Note to self: have a place to set the hot pan down, and keep track of where the gum is on the rag so you don't rub it all over the place again.

Woke up at 5:00 am to be told by my daughter that her gum had mysteriously gotten on to my dark brown leather couches. She had tried to remove it on her own by using ice. What she ended up doing was rubbing it in. I read some solutions on this site and had all natural peanut butter. Poured a little of the oil into a bowl(natural peanut butter separates) and took a white t-shirt and rubbed on the gum. It came right out....took maybe 2 minutes total. I wiped some of the oil off with a barely damp (water) cloth. You would never know that there was a huge piece of chewed gum rubbed in the couch. My panic attack was soon over. Love this website.

Just want to add my favorable comments. Tried the olive oil on a new car with leather seats, and gum three days old.

Worked like a charm! Thanks

Woke up to find that my friend whom visited last night had sat sugarfree airwaves chewing gum into my brand new leather corner suite, I went into panic mode and started searching the web for remedies when I found this site and tried the olive oil fix which took seconds and worked a treat... phew no explaining to do to my husband!

Answer

A woman with chewing gum.
Removing Gum from Leather Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureDecember 10, 2008
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 21, 2016 at 6:11:13 PM on 10.0.2.46 in 821 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.