Litter Box Training a Guinea Pig

We just purchased a 6 month old guinea pig for my daughter. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to litter train them? How long it takes for them to get it litter trained? I know they can be litter trained, just don't know how to do it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Janice from Illinois

I had guinea pigs for years. They are not litter box trainable. They will go in their food dishes. Yuck! I know! The best thing you can do is to keep their cage cleaned out frequently with fresh cedar chips.

I have to respond to this. I do not have a litter box yet, but will be getting one. My "Ratsy" has been trained to go in 1 corner of his cage on paper, and it didn't take long to train him either. Put some of their droppings where you want them to go and they catch on pretty quick. Now it takes no time to clean his cage every night, I just take out the old paper and put in new. And 1-2 times a week, I change the bedding for him. SO, I believe they can be litter trained.

When I had my beloved Miss Piggy, I did a lot of research and even joined an email list for Guinea pigs, and one thing that I learned is that they are SUPPOSED to eat their poop! I know it's disgusting, but apparently there is something there that their bodies need.

Very helpful, thanks.

In response Lynn Beth's post. That doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Cedar Shavings have been shown to be hazardous causing chronic respiratory conditions.

You don't want to use cedar shavings with a guinea pig. And depending on the guinea pig litter box training can take a bit of time. Some may not be trainable but all of them being non-trainable is incorrect. Just take some of the guinea pigs droppings and put it into the litter box then move the guinea pig into the box and just continue this a couple times a day. If after a week the guinea pig still hasn't figured it out then, oh well.

They can be litter boxed trained! My Fluffy is learning right now!

Guinea pigs can to be trained and guinea pigs do not eat their own poop.

Guinea pigs only eat their own poo when they need the nutrients from it, they don't normally eat their own poo.

Find their favorite corner to poop and put a litter box their. Make sure the beddin incthe poop box is different from the beddin in their cage. Then put a little hay inthe poop box. Don't be put down if they just sit in the poop box and munch on the hay often they will eat while they are going to the bathroom. Make sure the poop box is sheltered and reward then with their favorite treat if the goto the bathroom in it and u see them. Good luck!

A tan and white guinea pig.
Caring For Pet Guinea Pigs
Pets Guinea PigsOctober 22, 2008
Litter Box Training a Cat, Tabby in litter box.
Litter Box Training a Cat
Girl wearing a pig costume with a pink straw hat.
Making a Pig Costume
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box