Keeping Dogs Out of Garbage Cans

How do you keep dogs out of outside garbage cans without spending a lot of money? And without harming the dog.

Jason from Leitchfield, KY

A tight fitting bungie cord should do the trick. I put a garbage can in the back of my truck on it's side and the lid stays on with a bungie cord, even when it's full of yard waste.

Mouse traps, ammonia, bleach??? She said she doesn't want to harm the dogs?? What's wrong with you people? Are these indoor garbage cans? I keep mine under the kitchen sink so the dogs have no access. There are many inexpensive cans with locking lids if you choose not to. If they are outdoor cans & your dogs have access you can also buy inexpensive cans with locking lids. Mine only cost 10. each. The bungi cord is a good idea too.

spray bug spray on the small lick or taste and the dogs will leave it alone. We use to have this problem years and years ago...where do you all live where dogs are allowed to roam,? it is against the law to let your dogs run. We live sort of in the country and the "roaming" during the last 15 years around here has stopped, because, people will call the law.?

Do not harm the dogs under any is not the fault of the dog, if it has an owner go through the law, if not call animal control and get it trapped and taken away. Remember they are not targeting you, they are just trying to survive!!

Notify the neighbor whose dog is responsible

Call Animal control if you have notified the owner and the dogs continue to run free (this works even if you can't identify the dogs)

Once my husband had the neighbor come over and clean up the strewn garbage. He put the dog in the garage (enticed him with a treat) and held him "hostage" until the owner picked it up (This was ONLY after this had happened we have leash laws about dogs running loose)

December 12, 20070 found this helpful wanna call animal control and get them taken away from their owner? Awful. It's not the owner or the dogs fault. I assume most of you have a beloved pet. How would you feel to lose it forever. Yea...not great. You need to rethink your morals and learn to have some feelings.

How hard is it to try some non-harmful solutions. Grow a heart.

I do not own a dog, nor do I wish to. Yet almost every day, I am forced to pick up disgusting trash out of my yard or step in piles of poop in my OWN YARD. I keep my gates locked, and the dogs squeeze through cracks or jump it. I have spent hundreds on animal proof trash cans that the dogs just knock over and still manage to get into.

I feel that it is very irresponsible for a dog owner to let a dog wander around the neighborhood destroying other peoples property, and also putting the dog at risk. Just this morning a car almost hit my neighbors dog. The driver swerved, and missed but could have injured the dog or themselves. I'm at my wits end.

The suggestion about the trash can on wheels is a joke. Because dogs can jump on the trash cans and still scatter trash everywhere. Even if the cans have lids. I have three dogs, but only one of them gets in to the trash and I personally has seen him do it.

March 6, 2007 Flag

I got tired of putting my plastic trash bags on the curb on trash night and the dog across the street rummaging through everything and spreading trash all over the place. I put a stop to that by putting Tabasco sauce on the outside of the bag after setting it on the curb. Surprise! The dog now walks way around the trash bags.

By Pamm from Tulsa, OK

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I live out in the country, and between roaming dogs and wild critters, trash left at the road for pickup is a guaranteed mess. Nothing has touched our trash since I started, years ago, spritzing the bags with bleach. Should be cheaper than the tabasco. (03/10/2006)

By Deb

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Ammonia works the same way and very cheap. (03/10/2006)

By Randa

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Instead of having bags on the road, you should get a garbage can with wheels to store it in, most cities and waste pickups require that it is contained. (03/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I usually use ammonia. Spray that on the garbage after it is sitting at the curb. Works every time!! (03/11/2006)

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Black pepper sprinkled around works, too. It will also work to keep dogs from using the area sprinkled, as a potty area. Makes 'em sneeze awhile. (03/14/2006)

By Brenda Chavis

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I've tried both Vinegar and Tabasco. My Dog likes them both! I had soaked a dog biscuit in Tabasco and put it in the garbage as a 'Lesson soon learned'; However, it was I that learned the lesson, not her! As well, she seems a little 'dumb' compared to other dogs and would probably eat the moth balls and lick the bleach if I tried those solutions. (12/06/2006)

Cat in Knocked Over  Trashcan
Keeping Pets Out of Trash
Home and Garden Pest Control DogsMarch 6, 2007
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden