Removing Grease from Painted Surfaces

If you are trying to clean cooking grease from a painted wall or stained or painted cabinet, here's my experience.

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work, but they tear up easily and you need a lot of them. I tried separately vinegar with water, a quarter cup of ammonia to water to make a quart, Dawn liquid soap, and Murphy's oil soap without success.

What worked really well was a little paint thinner on a cloth or paper towel. I had to clean a large area and it did it fast.

By Rob from Lawrence, KS

I'm a great fan of spray foam Kitchen Cleaner or Bathroom Cleaner for those stubborn jobs. It lifts the grease and dirt that collects in it. I just spray, leave it alone to do it's work, then wipe up the runs.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

December 30, 2009 Flag

What would be the best way to clean cooking grease off of painted wooden kitchen cabinets without damaging the paint? Thanks.

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Answers:

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

I just recently had to do this. I used dish detergent, hot water and a cup of white vinegar. It took a while but they finally came clean. Also Mr Clean sponges seem to work on everything. It wouldn't hurt to try! (08/29/2008)

By jediwa72

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

Pour 1/4 cup ammonia in a 1-quart spray bottle. Fill the rest with water. Spray and wipe. You will be amazed! (08/31/2008)

By Jean from MS

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

It's a very crazy idea, but I use these baby wipes. They work good and don't harm the hands!

(08/31/2008)

By Efrs

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

Two thoughts here- either should work; GOO Gone OR WD-40. Yep it's got fish oil in it and it seems to take grease off everything... even white shirts! (09/02/2008)

By athomewithmama

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

Since grease and ammonia combine to make soap, I think that you should give the ammonia a try. If the fumes will work to clean ovens, they should work on this. (09/02/2008)

By louel53

Removing Grease From Painted Cabinets

Murphy's oil soap. I used this on a dresser that came from a heavy smoker's home and it got the sticky residue out. (09/04/2008)

By meoowmom

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenDecember 30, 2009
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:14:42 PM on 10.0.1.91 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.