Cleaning Painted Surfaces

When cleaning painted surfaces you want to use products and methods that will not harm the finish. This is a guide about cleaning painted surfaces.

This is a guide about cleaning grease from painted surfaces. Care always needs to be taken when cleaning a painted surface.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I rent a house that has white paint on just about everything (baseboards, kitchen cabinets, window sills, etc.). It is a white gloss (acrylic maybe). What is the best way to clean the caked on dust and food stains? It looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. Thanks for any suggestions.

By Sheree from Bartlesville, OK

Answers

Best Answer

I would use really hot soapy water and maybe some bleach. Or maybe something like 409. After that if they still don't look clean it wouldn't be that expensive to buy some white gloss type paint and repaint them. If nothing else it wouldn't hurt to ask the landlord if you did the work, would he furnish the paint. We used to do that.

Our home has white baseboards which need to be cleaned often. I have RA and can't get down to clean them. How do I clean them and is there anything I can apply that will keep them cleaner longer?

Answers

A very easy online search for "how to clean baseboards" produced many good replies. You can try a search yourself and this always helpful site. You might consider hiring a teen or cleaner for this job:

http://www.howt  lean-baseboards/

What can you use to clean painted doors? The paint is flat black.

By jr112748 from Mesquite, TX

Answers:

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

I use just water if the spot is recent and not greasy. Otherwise I use 409. All my doors are painted white everything shows. I just spray the door or, for small areas, I spray my cloth. So far no harm done. (07/23/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

Look for a product called TSP, you should find it in your local hardware store. (07/27/2009)

By PICO

Top Comment

Tsp is recomended and used by most professional painters its a wonderful product, comes in industrial sizes for large jobs and is very cheap but effective.

Our bathroom cabinets are painted white and I have trouble cleaning all the dust, hairspray, etc off the painted surface. Most cleaning products are harsh and will strip the surface. What can be used to get the grime, etc off?
Peg from Tex

Answers:

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

I'm a firm believer in letting my house do my cleaning. I'd get rid of the white and replace it with something more practical, paint it a different color. But then again, I'm pretty lazy. (03/06/2005)

By lilithjune

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

Peg,
I have white trim, chair railing and moulding on three floors. It has been no trouble cleaning it now that I discovered Mr. Clean sponges, they are amazing.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia (03/06/2005)

By ILuvDobes

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

Even if you paint it a different color it will still get dirty. You just won't be able to see it as well. My house is ultra contemporary & most of my walls are white, including my kitchen & bathroom cabinets. I recently bought a Mr. Clean sponge but haven't used it yet. I've heard great things about it. (03/06/2005)

By Vicki

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

I make a solution of Dawn dish liquid and water in a bucket and clean my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. They are both painted white. By the way, if anyone is considering painting their cabinets white, I would definitely hire a professional. Every time we bump a cabinet you can see the ugly 70's blue that was underneath! (03/07/2005)

By acope

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

I have found that a damp "miracle cloth" works great on painted surfaces - walls and painted wood surfaces. They used to be available only through mail order, but I've seen them all over the place lately. (03/18/2005)

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

I just cleaned my kitchen walls so I could paint them. I used a product called Krud Kutter. I also used it on painted cabinets and it worked great. You can find it at paint stores and also at Wal Mart in the paint section. (03/23/2005)

By Pam

Cleaning Painted Surfaces

What about cleaning faux surfaces, suede, or venetian plaster with a wax finish? (09/09/2008)

By lee